🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e6] Time Crystals

Started by
15 comments, last by Programmer101 16 years, 3 months ago
Alright, I guess I will post my idea after all. This is my idea for an entry, hope I finish it completely... and well. Last year I entered an RPG that had many flaws so this year I think I'll try to correct that. The largest problem was the small role of a story and main focus on the RPG technology, which kind of killed it. There were many other things such as tacked on elements and crashes. Anyway, to cut to the chase: Name: Time Crystals (I need to work on this. Unoriginal) Genre: First Person Shooter Platform: Windows Language: C++ API(s): DirectX 9 Asset Creation: Milkshape, blender, cinema4d, corel Although I don't want to give away much of the story, I give a brief intro. While I try to stay original, my story has been heavily influenced by Half-Life and the book Timeline. You are a computer programmer at a lab where they are developing time travel. Pushed for developments by the government and your investors your managers decide to do an early test of the time portal. When something goes wrong with the portal and crazed people from the future start entering the lab, you must fight your way through the building to find the pieces of the time machine that are needed to fix it and regain control. You get a lot of cool developmental and futuristic weapons to fight the crazed people with, and you must solve a number of short puzzles in order to advance. Although I have little game play implemented now, I do have a screen shot of the game that I put here. This is a screen of a hallway in the lab. My current concern, however is that the gpu that the games will be judged on (i think a 5900) cannot support my shaders, so I may have to remove these resulting in a loss of quality. [Edited by - Programmer101 on December 9, 2007 8:00:42 PM]
Advertisement
Maybe a loss of quality in the graphics, but remember that should encourage you to hit other parts such as gameplay, sound etc.... ;^) Goodluck!
Well, I haven't posted anything in while now so I'll state my progress.

Here are a few of the things that I have managed to do since my last posts (with the help from many great people on this website!):

-Increase the framerate to about 270fps at 1680x1050 (no anti-aliasing)
-Implement rigid body dynamics (newton) into the engine
-Add a physically simulated character controller
-Post processing pipeline
-Weapon animations
-Add a HUD

Here's a screen-shot, unfortunately many of the updates are animated[rolleyes]

Well, I'll post a video of the engine here. Fraps seems to record a lot slower on vista so it may look slow but the engine usually runs at 320 fps with the setting in the video. Anyway,this shows a little bit of my lighting, post processing, character animation, and the physics system which is done with newton.

Here's a link.
This is looking awesome
I agree, this does look great, but how are you using at least three of the four elements?
I see crystals, but accountants, ponies, and explosions?
Quote: Original post by arew264
I agree, this does look great, but how are you using at least three of the four elements?
I see crystals, but accountants, ponies, and explosions?

I'm glad you both like it!

In spite of the brief post about the story of the game, I do have the elements worked in one way or another.

Explosions is easy... its a shooter so I'll be sure to have grenades and exploding barrels etc.

Ponies is a bit more difficult. Your character emerges from the dark subway having just killed 10000 zombies and enemy soldiers to find a pink pony to take him home. Or maybe the pony brings him a rocket launcher. I don't really know how I'll include this one yet :)

Accountants have been worked into the story. They're the ones who causes the whole time travel incident to happen and they actually do come in at the end for some comic relief.
My website is temporarily down so you won't be able to see the video or screen shots for the time being. I'll try to get the site back up soon though so that the media will be available again.

EDIT
Alright, everything should be back up now

[Edited by - Programmer101 on January 17, 2008 7:27:08 AM]
Here is a small update:

An easy element to add lol.

And if anyone was wondering about the story a bit more because I gave a very vague description here is the beginning release_doc.doc. This is not all that I have, I do have it finished, but I don't want to give away the entire thing.
Over the weekend I decided to make a preview for the game. It's not wonderful because my art skills kinda suck. Here's a link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement