Feedback on a Game Design Glossary

Started by
2 comments, last by Jonathon 23 years, 3 months ago
Howdy, folks! I''ve just completed a preliminary version of a project I''m working on. I was wondering whether anyone from Gamedev might be able to give me some feedback. I''ve created a glossary of terms related to game design. It is not exhaustive, by any means. I intended it to be a resource for people new to the game design field. When I first began work on this project, I was not aware that Gamedev features its own Game Dictionary. By the time I noticed this, I had already done a good amount of work on the glossary, and had already gotten a website interested in publishing it. And working on the glossary was actually teaching me a lot. So I continued to work on it. This is not a professional project, and I will not derive any profit from this work. It is meant to be a free resource for anyone interested in game design. Although it is not a professional project, I would like it to be a quality resource. So I am asking for feedback from the members of Gamedev. The Glossary can be viewed at the following URL: http://gamedesign1.tripod.com/Glossary.html. If you would prefer to offer feedback to me directly through e-mail, my address is: Jonathon@gdnmail.net. I would really appreciate any help. I have never completed a project like this before. Thank you. Jonathon
quote: "Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush
Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
Advertisement
I didn''t get a chance to read this entirely yet, but it''s a very well done glossary. Lots of insight along with the definitions. Very comprehensive. (Obviously a lot of work & thought! )

Mind a couple of suggestions?

"Open ended game"- A game with no overall goal or end. The player instead plays for the enjoyment of playing. Example would be a game like Elite.

Trading game as a genre. The goal is to make money by trading commodities of some sort.

Just some thoughts.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
This is what we need. Great work!

Hey, guys! Thank you for checking out the Glossary. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

By the way, suggestions are most certainly welcome. I plan to continue to update this project, so that it may become a more useful resource.

And working on the Glossary has really taught me a lot. It took a long time to get it up and running, but the work was worthwhile, I think.

Any suggestions can be posted here, or sent to me by e-mail at:

Jonathon@gdnmail.net.

Thanks again!

Jonathon
quote: "Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush
Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement