🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Interactive Fiction?

Started by
4 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 7 months ago
This'll be my first attempt at entering 4E6. I considering an attempt at entering an Interactive Fiction game (basically, a text-based adventure with plot). It's a wonderful genre that has gotten far to little attention in the past 10+ years, but graphics will never measure up to imagination. I'm wondering, how well would such a game be received here? I understand a full screen of text doesn't make for a good screenshot. Good luck to all in 4E6!
Advertisement
I have recently [re]discovered Inform, and will be diving into it when my 4e6 game is finished. So I, for one, look forward to seeing what you accomplish.
If you're looking for good IF games, check out the past winners at http://ifcomp.org/
I don't have an example to point to, but superpig (the contest runner) has stated a couple of times that a full text game is perfectly acceptable. You'll just lose a few points in the "advanced technology" category.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Quote: Original post by Numsgil
You'll just lose a few points in the "advanced technology" category.

I think there's plenty of advanced technology that could be implemented in a text-only game, AI for example. As long as the judging staff is open enough to recognize the difference between "Advanced Technology" and "Graphics" then, if your idea was more than just a choose your own adventure, you may be able to score highly in "Advanced Technology" as well. The game Facade is an example of advanced AI technology, but under the graphical skin it was really just a text game.

Disclaimer: I not affiliated with the competition in any way. For definite answers, ask superpig.

Edit: Added Facade as an example

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote: Original post by Numsgil
You'll just lose a few points in the "advanced technology" category.

No, that's not really true - as JBourrie said, there are things like AI that can be built up a lot. Advanced technology in a text-based game is things like an extremely flexible/intuitive parser that can recognise anything I throw at it without saying "I don't understand how to 'squeeze cat', or characters that react to my actions in an in-depth way, etc...

Graphics/artwork for a text-based game kinda gets merged with the writing subcategory.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement