🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Visual Studio 2005/2008

Started by
5 comments, last by experiment 16 years, 7 months ago
I started following the tutorials in Visual Studio 6 becuse i wanted to make sure i would get everything correct and that everything would work right off the bat. But i hate alot of the things about the older VS6 and would like to go back to using the newer VS packages that i am used to. The only problem is that i keep on getting these kinds of errors when i try to compile the code error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UnregisterClassA@8 referenced in function "void __cdecl KillGLWindow(void)" (?KillGLWindow@@YAXXZ) Now the system with the newer VS is on a different I loaded the same project file so all the linking info is all the same... and i dont rememeber installing anything special on the first computer.. so what could be going on.. Haha if there was somthing like a SDK that needed to be installed let me know .. hmm maybe ill go read through the first few tutorials again just to be sure. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
If you are using the Express version, you have to install the Platform SDK.

Using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition with the Microsoft Platform SDK

Platform SDK

[Edited by - Kambiz on November 16, 2007 3:11:25 AM]
well I have installed the SDK and still get
those errors, Luminary is talking about.
(but gave the IDE the path to the SDK lib and the SDK include folder)
"unresolved external symbol" means that you have only the
prototype of the function.. Check if your libraries are linked
correctly with the project..

what includes are you using..? (I've searched trough my GL includes
and didn't find any "KillGLWindow")
thanks for the replys

umm experiment

i think you are reading the error incorectly

what it is saying is

Error Linking, no reference to external symbol

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol

This is the symbol that its looking for in the libraries

__imp__UnregisterClassA@8

Referenced in function "void KillGLWindow(void)

referenced in function "void __cdecl KillGLWindow(void)" (?KillGLWindow@@YAXXZ)
According to msdn docs it looks like the UnregisterClass function is in User32.lib. So you might need to make sure that library is listed in your linker dependencies. Another possibility is not having the correct Ascii/Unicode setting in your project. You're trying to link the Ascii version of the UnregisterClass function when it's possible that your project is set to link against the Wide character version of the standard libraries.
Quote: Original post by Luminary
thanks for the replys

umm experiment

i think you are reading the error incorectly

you think right.. :)

me & my big mouth.. always try to help and end up wit a red face.. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement