🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lesson 43... where to find libfreetype.lib

Started by
4 comments, last by mooreaa 16 years, 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I've been trying to follow lesson 43 in setting up freetype for opengl. I am running into a problem where I have a linking error: cannot open file 'libfreetype.lib' This is coming from my #pragma comment(lib,"libfreetype.lib") After looking around in the freetype installation, I cannot find a libfreetype.lib file! Where should this file be? Or am I missing something? -Aaron
Advertisement
If the freetype installation included source code, then you may have to open the included project and build the .lib file yourself.
odd... i linked against libfreetype.dll.a instead of libfreetype.lib and it works...

what is .dll.a ?
Hmm well it built but I am having runtime problems with it.

I will post to the general forums since this isn't an issue with NEHE
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=gnuwin32&filename=freetype-2.3.5-setup.exe

i suppose you are using windows (as of your #pragma comment statement)

edit:
.dll - u know what this is (as well as .lib)
well, in the gnu world the .dll equivalent is .so (shared object) and the .lib - .a . I guess that the freetype version you use is compiled with mingw, which compiles both the .a and the .dll (assuming you use windows). So most probably the packager used some options to rename the .a file to {name}.a, in your case - freetype.dll.a. However, I am surprised to see that visual studio accepts .a files (as they use different naming convention). There is still the possibility that the packager renamed the .lib file to a .a file without actually compiling it with gcc.
Thanks for the info... here is the follow up to this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=472682

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement