🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Money from promo games ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Diodor 23 years, 1 month ago
Can one earn money from less than profesional games (small clones) ? I dont care too much about how much money, I just want to know how likely is one to find a buyer for a small game. And who are the most likely buyers. If the answer was yes, do I need a company for this or will a bank account suffice ? Edited by - Diodor on May 6, 2001 7:11:51 PM
Advertisement
With freeware, forget about making money. If you intend to make money of a product, FREEware just ain''t gonna cut. No one is going to pay to use a FREEware product.

You might want to check up on shareware. This holds more promise.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
No, no ! Not pay to use the freeware program. Pay to have the game on their site. They can ask for exclusive rights on the game too (I or user X cannot upload said game to any other sites).

I know this is possible. There was a post here about making 200$ for a game for crystal-interactive, and I wondered how common this is.
You seem a bit confused.
Freeware is Free to download/play/use.
If you want to make money etc through Crystal-Interactive or what not then DONT make the game FREEWARE, that''s of course your game is good enough to be sold.
I agree with Nuffsaid, it you want to *try* and make money go with shareware because, well simply because Freeware is FREE, forget exclusive rights and what not if it''s free because why would someone want rights to a game that is FREE ?
They aren''t going to shell out $200 for rights or what ever for nothing in return.
They could ask me to put their name all over, links to their site or some of their other games, try to open their site on exit, etc. Now if I did this, it wouldnt bother them if I put it on download.com I think.

OH, I was confused ! Theire not called freeware, theire called promogames !!

Edited by - Diodor on May 6, 2001 7:13:00 PM
The guys above don''t understand unfortunately what you mean.
I do, promotional games, are mostly made in flash for online playing. It is very rare I have seen that there is a promo game for download, so mostly is an online game, made in flash. I know there are some multimedia companies, who also made online promo games for the promotion of the client. If this is a full time job I doubt, but it''s more one of the things a multimedia or
internet company offers to there clients.
The games are available on the website of the client to play for free. The subject of the games is mostly focus on the product/services of the client. The games are easy to play.
The price of the game is mostly calculated in relation to the hours spend in developing the game. So one hour (hour of salary employer + some profit) of it is for instance
$30. You spend 8 hours * 30 = $240 without tax.
There are also some internet companies I know who haves an own online games website, full with promotional games of there clients. So in that case the client pays also for webhosting and
the maintaince of the website.
But again I doubt that you can start a company for only developing promo games, you need to offer as the main buisness of your compnay good website design, etc.

I also tried to track down some clients but, it''s not easy.
I only think if you have an existing client as an internet company where you developed a website for, perhaps you can push him to develop also a promo game. But to look only for a client for a promo game is very difficult. I didn''t found one.

I am busy to develop several commercial games at the moment. And when I don''t get a deal (I know it in a couple of months), I will look for a job as freelance graphic designer.
I got for some games a contract by the way, but as a compny you need more products so you can live from it.

Hi,

We do a lot of promotional games for Indian corporates directly and for international clients through our marketing partners.

Have a look at the branded bowling game at nazaragames.com and you will get a good idea.

We get paid for the development of the game as well as for hosting on our indian centric gaming portal.

Clients also like to build some kind of survey into the game so that they get direct feedback on their brands or products when the people play the games.

We have developed over 80 games uptill now in this way

regards

Nitish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nitish Jain
CEO,
Nazaragames.com
E-mail: nitish@nazara.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
============================Nitish JainCEO,Nazaragames.comE-mail: nitish@nazara.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Wireless gaming, PC / Console gaming and Internet based gaming! Let's talk :)============================

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement