🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Argh.. simple thing isn't working.

Started by
1 comment, last by WitchLord 16 years, 4 months ago
I created a test program with two functions, registerEntity(asIScriptStruct *) which just throws it in a collection, and killEntity(asIScriptStruct *) which releases the entity twice: once for C++ holding onto it from the registerEntity call, and once for the killEntity call, then I remove it from the collection. The following program behaves, in my understanding of how it should work, incorrectly:

class T1 :IEntity {
	T1() {
		registerEntity(this);
		print("T1()");
	}
	~T1() { print("~T1()"); }
	void process() { }
}
class T2 : IEntity {
	T1 @t1; //this is the problem here
	T2() {
		registerEntity(this);
		print("T2()");
	}
	~T2() {
		print("~T2()");
	}
	void process() { }
}
void main() {
	T2 t2;
	killEntity(t2);
}

That never calls ~T2(). If you remove the line I pointed out (T1 @t1) it works as expected. It also never calls T1 ctor(as it shouldn't). What am I doing wrong here?
Advertisement
duh, didn't call the GC... I didn't realize that objects with internal references are always GC'd... is there a way to completely skip the GC and assume that I know how to manage my own memory?

registerEntity will hold onto a reference of an entity forever... I don't care about any other references to entities anywhere ever... can I just completely skip GCing for that object? if I get a null pointer in script then it can crash for all I care =)
Unfortunately not. I could have written AngelScript without garbage collection, but it wouldn't provide a safe environment for scripting.

I suggest you add a routine in your game loop to call the GC in iterative steps. At strategic moments, where speed is not of essence you should call the GC to perform a full cycle.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement