🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E6] Project Karasu

Started by
0 comments, last by Jason Petrasko 16 years, 4 months ago
Alright, so after realizing that I would never ever possibly finish Snowfall on Ganymede in time for submission, I retasked. Here is the new project: Ingredients: Accountants, Explosions, and Crystals. Genre: 2d Space Fighter without space fighting. Inspiration: Portal, Elite, and Eve Online. So its like this: Offworld Dreams (OD) is a huge corporation in a crisis. Its intergalactic network, which supports everything from space travel to energy production, was attacked by a rogue AI a few years ago. This Offworld Dreams Network (ODN) Crash set humanity back a bit. But using new virtual engine technology (improved VR kind of affair), OD is ready to take back the network! They only need a few good hardworking people no afraid to risk some capital in the program, meet the training requirements, and then go to it. So Project Karasu is the first step in this plan. Ambitious people are recruited and trained, invest their capital into the program, and get to pilot a Karasu class one nebula runner through a virtual engine. These ships are charged with mining nebulas for needed energy in crystal form, something which is in itself no so tricky. The problem is their are drones all through the nebulas, drones under the control of the rogue AI. So I have the crystals and accountants solidly in place, and I'm tackling the incorporation of explosions now. Here is a budding website for the game which sets the feel and shows (or will show) the art: Offworld Dreams Online
Advertisement
So I updated the site with the whole introductory spiel, and that pretty much sets the feel and defines what is going on, even if its not totally clear on WHAT YOU DO as a player.

I'll have some screenshots from the game up this week, and probably minimal test software the week after.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement