🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The perfect mmorpg

Started by
14 comments, last by Swarmer 16 years, 3 months ago
I had alot of game ideas before, some good some bad but never was able to get anyone interested in helping me creating them. I was wondering if a couple writers want to get together and come up with the perfect mmorpg. I mean get a real good idea down, if it would take three months then let it be. I want to come up with the perfect idea for the next big mmorpg. We can write the story line find out what races and such are in the game. Write up quest and right the actual design document. If you are interested in joining the team to get some ideas down and start writing please reply or email me at tpopcaz@yahoo.com. Let me know what yall think of the idea
Advertisement
What typically happens with this type of project is no one can agree on what would be the best mmo and the group dissolves. Like I might say, a major problem with mmos is levels and level grinding, so let's eliminate levels. But at least half the people would totally disagree. And someone else would say, pvp is the best part of gameplay so let's build the game around that and I would totally disagree because I like crafting and building relationships with npcs and solving puzzles.

But any sort of group brainstorming and theorizing can be fun and educational while the group lasts.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I agree with what your saying everyone has there own opinions. I think the best game should have a little of everything. Pvp, Crafting, role playing. I think each plays a roll in the economy. I think this group would be fun and a good idea to get some info together for possibly a great game.
There are no perfect ideas and when it comes to mmorpg most ideas seem to be bad ones. What a mmorpg needs is gameplay that's actually fun. If the gameplay gets old in half an hour, the 50 hours you'll have to spend grinding just won't be meaningful (even if it were fun, there's another major problem right there).

I think the trouble with getting other people interested is the feasibility of the project and leadership skills. If the leader of the project (presumably you) isn't competent, can't make decisions, doesn't contribute in a meaningful way or manage any of the resources in the team, people will be put off and leave (or never join in the first place).

Having an idea is often the easy part. This forums is full of people with great ideas for games but no skills to actually implement them. You'll probably have to put ideas aside for the time being and focus on what it takes to get things done.
Yea another point well put. I dont disagree with you either. Its hard to lead something and keep people working on side of you. I was just thinking if you get enough writers together with great ideas and put them all together we could get something going. I played Ultima Online and World of Warcraft. The hours of the grinding levels of world of warcraft didnt seem worth it like you stated. I want to get some ideas where who cares if you hit the skill cap theres much more to do at the end. You like pvp, there will be alot of pvp, you like crafting, the economy will be based off of items you craft, maybe a housing system stuff like that where you can keep gaining. These are just thoughts. I would like to get people together and start getting ideas together.
Quote: Original post by UziMonkeyYou'll probably have to put ideas aside for the time being and focus on what it takes to get things done.

Personally I go the opposite direction, focus on ideas and realize that they are not going to get implemented. Either way works, you can dream big or try to implement something small and practical, it's trying to implement big dreams (especially with no experience and budget) where you set yourself up for failure.

tpop, you might want to play a few more mmos before you try to design one. So far I've played WoW, Dofus, MapleStory, A Tale in the Desert, Myst Uru, Flyff (I don't recommend this one), GaiaOnline, and NeoPets, and I probably should play Eve and Puzzle Pirates because I've heard they both have unique features. Then I've heard rumors there's going to be a Harvest Moon mmo soon, I'm dying to see what that would be like, and it would be interesting to try one of those adults-only ones to see how that affects the social dynamic...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Yea I've played others like runescape, guildwars, never got addicted like the other two though. I can see what your talking about how you get your hopes up for something big. I know theres people out here with great ideas that can come together and thats what I'm just trying to do. I see people in the help wanted fourms creating some pretty amazing games all the time. The funding part for a mmorpg is the hard part. I think if you can come up with a good unique team people would help you work on it. Just that funding part would be hard to launch it.
I think the best MMORPG would have the best SOCIETY. Players would be working together to form a solid society/community.

No masher just Master!
Quote: Original post by wirya
I think the best MMORPG would have the best SOCIETY. Players would be working together to form a solid society/community.

I have to agree, a mmorpg can have alot of features, but eventually all the content will be used, after that the only reason you would stay within a mmorpg would be for the community

So building alot of tools that allow the players to communicate the better and experience the game together.
excuse me for asking, but where did you find your $50 million?

because if you want to have any chance in hell of making "the next big MMORPG" that's what you'll essentially need...minimum.

Additionally, all game studios out there are already stocked up on ideas for what they want to make, it isn't a shortage of ideas that ensures that crap games are made, it's playing safely, and creating games that are similar to other successful games. You'll never be able to find a professional game studio who is going to take on your ideas, since it just doesn't work like that.

sorry to be a cynic, but this is bound to fail, and I'd be pleasantly surprised to even see it get off the ground.

<rant>
And why for the love of god does everyone become so damned obsessed with MMORPGs because _one_ lousy game was ridiculously successful (and continuing to dominate the market with new content)?

There are other ways to build an online community than forcing players to coexist with thousands of immature bastards, interspersed with the occasional cool people.
</rant>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement