🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

mmorpg

Started by
13 comments, last by pothb 16 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering if someone would like to start a group of writing a mmorpg. This will be a group to get each others ideas for a mmorpg and right them down. Through this group, hopefully a story, unique crafting/pvp/pve system will be created and much much more. If your interested in getting together and sharing ideas reply, or email me at tpopcaz@yahoo.com
Advertisement
This may seem slightly waspish, but since you're writing on the "writing for games" board, pay attention to your grammar (I know that mine isn't flawless), since writing mistakes such as replacing "write" with "right" are somewhat unattractive, especially since you are trying to recruit people.

Additionally, I'd say that this probably belongs on the "Looking for Help" board.
tpop, how is this different from your previous thread? *confused*

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I have a mmorpg Idea. Been workin on ideas since 2004. I have alot done and alot of ideas and concepts. About 300 pages on word, 6 world maps complete.
Quote: Original post by Eronakis
I have a mmorpg Idea. Been workin on ideas since 2004. I have alot done and alot of ideas and concepts. About 300 pages on word, 6 world maps complete.

You may wanna try out Microsoft OneNote. Its a great program (a rarity for MS) that lets you do words, scribbles, images, sounds etc all in one file. All my game ideas are in there and its a lot easier to manage then word is.
I revise my MMO design each time I decide I'm finished with playing an MMO, but its only a skeletal design a few pages long so I haven't bothered making anything more complicated than a text document with a small spreadsheet inserted in the middle. I am too uncertain whether it would be better to design a levelless game or a game with levels to evolve the design farther.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I like the old time Ultima Online with the building up your skill. Where you could pick any seven you wanted and mix them up, instead of like wow where you have so many different things you can choose from like priest,mage,hunter,warrior, then have to grind for days or months. The picking your own skill everyone in the game could have something unique to there character.
Which is why I think WoW sucks. as well as a lot of other MMOs out there.
yea im currently playing WoW, the leveling sucks. By the time you get half way leveled you are thinking of trying a new character or something. Dont get me wrong the items and world is great, just there are some things that just dont seem worth leveling for that long. I think a good mmorpg would be a medevil one, not to much magic more melee, crafting, no crazy creatures to kill. Pretty much something where everything is based off of the players. Weapons are made by players,armor, food, houses everything. You make a town/guild and goto war.
Ah, WoW, now there's a topic we could discuss for hours. Personally I think that the world is shallow and inconsistent, the monster AI is boring in its lack of variety, the mounts and pets are totally lame, and the crafting and total lack of minigames are awful. Then there's the fact that the replayability is an illusion since the quest paths merge to only one per alignment after level 20, and one for everyone after level 30. It has some virtues though - it's pretty to look at, there's a good variety of quest types, the battlegrounds were fun even though I'm not really a pvp fan, and faction reputation is an interesting concept although they could have done much cooler things with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement