Advertisement

Wavinator's dreams of Sim & RPG combined....

Started by May 21, 2001 10:23 PM
20 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 3 months ago
Have you all read about this game? It looks like it is meant to combine Sim & RPG very well. Ego review A CRPG in development... Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
It does look interesting, though quite ambitious. If it''s even half as good as they are saying, it''ll be worth getting and X-Box for

Though I must say, the lens-flare in the first screen shot is a little overstated...

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Dean Harding

Though I must say, the lens-flare in the first screen shot is a little overstated...

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.

Yes, I must agree with you there

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Also my first reaction. Interestingly, as someone somewhere has noted, lens flare doesn''t occur in human vision, so why do game developers insist on including it in shots that are supposed to be people looking outwards?

In any case, Molyneaux has seemingly responded to most of the comments in recent posts on RPGs in the Design forums... perhaps there''s hope after all. One thing does bother me though: the concept of individual realization of vegetation will either push the polycount through the roof (and remember this is a fixed spec machine; there will be no new graphics cards that double fill rate or what not) or result in extremely sparse vegetation. With B&W Peter had the luxury of knowing that hardware would catch up with his dreams. The X-Box spec has been determined, so unless extreme care is taken there may be severe cases of slowdown.

However, the game remins a triumph of imagination, and I''ll be following its development closely.

---
Those who can do nothing criticize; those who can, critique.
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
In any case, Molyneaux has seemingly responded to most of the comments in recent posts on RPGs in the Design forums... perhaps there''s hope after all.

Well, who knows, maybe he''s reading the forums?

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
He just have stolen ours idea, nothing mind checking...

Anyway I was hoping to be able to make this kind of game myself within 4 years

Too bad, I think I should try another job now...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
?

Aside from the graphics features I didn''t really think this too be so much of an improvement over current rpg games.

I''m more interested in a different approach to HOW rpgs work, not what the new ones will look like. Sure, it''ll be eye candy when you start playing the game (and I must admit, the way things look DO affect the way a game plays) but in the end, if I can still not affect those pretty flowers, then it''ll still not convince me that it''s a real world (that''s the aim right?)

I noticed a post mentioning that Molyneaux perhaps had looked at some of the ideas on this board... which ones?

After being somewhat disappointed by B&W (I think it''s a pretty good game, but absolutely not what I expected, too much village management for me) I think I''ll actually be thrilled to play this next Molyneaux game, but I''m not sure if it''ll get me to buy the X-box.

PS Is this a single player game?
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Project Ego is not a Molyneux game - while he almost certainly has some input on the game (since Big Blue Box is a satellite company of Lionhead) the lead designer is Dene Carter.
The graphics are not the main attraction to the game for me (I hate games that are all eye candy - insert FPS here), it''s the new approach to "evolutionary" NPCs and interaction. Actions have consequences, some very long term. NPCs have memories and may react or even take major lifetime decisions influenced/determined/inspired by your actions and those of others. Your choice of lifestyle even affects your character''s physical development and appearance. That''s fairly revolutionary, and answers some of the questions/concerns recently posted on the Design forum.

As for being able to affect those flowers, perhaps you might. Adding a little deterministic code to respond to underfoot trampling or slicing would be less than trivial. The game definitely has potential, but that''s all we can say for sure.

And it totally makes sense that the game not be a Molyneaux title; he was totally engrossed by the making of B&W, especially over the last couple of months.

---
Those who can do nothing criticize; those who can, critique.
Hm, the review has 3 and half pages out of 6 talking graphics. (Yeah, waving plants, hear growing, pale skin for the night goers got me drooling on the keyboard, but its still eye candy).

As for freedom, that "your family gets killed during your first quest no matter what you do" thingie gives a clue as to how they understand controling the game story.

And that story about how every step affects the game evolution was just that, a story. Especially, the acorn example was pure fantasy. No way a simulation can get into _that_ level of detail.

Seems to me like they''ll work some good years to make the NPC''s react in as many different though hard-coded or scripted ways to as many different player actions. So, the world will seem like its alive and reacting, but in fact the NPC-NPC simulation / evolution will be very limited.

And no word whatsoever of spell systems, inventory systems, object combing, quests, purpose of the game, winning etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement