🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

COLLISION DETECTION HOW?!

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 7 months ago
Most 3D engines don't assign a "stairs" property to objects. Instead, when the player approaches a vertical boundary, the engine checks the height of the boundary. If it's short, like a step, then the player walks over it; otherwise, he's blocked by it.

------------------
~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Advertisement
blung: You can't rely on D3DIM to do collision testing for you. It's your game's job to interpret the models and maps as are appropriate for your game. There have been some other threads going on here about 3D collisions just recently, so go do a search for them.

Also, you don't have to post in three forums under three different names... very suspicious

- Splat

how would you go about making a collision detection thing with d3dim?

how would you go about testing collision detection ? i know the um is x is in x2 thing.. but umm how would you check for stuff like stairs? how do you check if you are at stairs and then go up the stairs? would you just do ifs to all objects? or is there better ways?

i know i d3dim can't do the collision for me. i meant to ask how do i do collision detection with d3dim..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement