🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice on a name?

Started by
17 comments, last by Wavinator 22 years, 10 months ago
I need a bit of naming advice. I''ve got a world populated by "commoners" and "nobles," but I hate those labels and am looking for better ones. The nobles used to control everything in a technocracy. Their genes were their passcode to operate the technology that controlled civilization. Everything was broken down by bloodline, and generations of people did the same work according to their genetic code. Commoners didn''t control anything, but their connected brains formed the backbone of the processing power that ran the technology. Now everything''s been mixed up, a big crash has thrown everything into chaos, and commoners and nobles live side by side with only some knowing how (through machine language prayers ) to operate the technology. What should commoners and nobles be called? I was thinking of going with Nodes and Controllers, but that doesn''t stick. Drones isn''t quite right, because commoners had rights. Nothing I can think of quite fits. *sigh* Any ideas appreciated... -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Scholars and workers.
Parents and children.
Shepards and flock.
Manager and labourer.
Employer and employee.
Upper and lower citizens.
Officers and citizens.
Samurai and eta?
Supers/supervisors and Processors.
Type1 and Type2.
Supers and Subs.

How about the Purebloods and the Tainted?

Actually, if you have characters that see things from different viewpoints you might want to consider a vernacular from both sides of the tracks.
So the elitists will have a positive view of themselves and a negative view of the downtrodden, while the lesser people will look at themselves as the survivors and the elite are corrupt and decadent.
Complete and Hollow
Tattered and Torn
The Fast and the Furious.... Just Kidding
Proverbs 26:12------------------------------There is more hope for fools than people who think they are wise.
alpha and beta
inners and outters
centrals and peripherics
centrals and radials
Intel inside and AMD inside (and Cyrix inside :-)
i and j

Perhaps you dont need two names. An attribute for the nobles could suffice. So, a man can either be -attribute- or not :
in
connected
upgraded
peanut butter and jelly
Plebeians and Patricians, of course.

"To the journey."
------------------------------Omnipotent_Q"Poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric."
That is a beautifu and elegant game concept, and I love it.

For the nobles: mentors, guardians, instructors
For the peasants: (I thought nodes was pretty good) segments, labourers, artisans, synaptics
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement