🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A storyline I came up with for a game I'm working on...

Started by
4 comments, last by david7410 23 years ago
A friend and I are making an RPG from scratch using C++ and I just wanted to share what I've come up with for a storyline so far. Please let me know what you all think. Here is it: (note: Allies = good guys Axis = bad guys. These aren't the final names for both sides, I am just using them until I can think of something else.) The game will start out with you being held captive on an enemy space station. You are a spy that has been captured and are now aboard an enemy space prison where you will be held as a POW. There is another guy in your cell that seems to be an old native of a nearby planet that was picked up just recently. He explains to you that he was in great battle several years ago between the allies and the axis. (you are the allies currently aboard an axis space station) And his space ship was damaged and forced to land on a nearby neutral planet. His ship was completely destroyed on impact, so all means of communication with his allies were lost. For there to be any chance of a rescue mission, he had to find a way to contact his superiors. After living off the land for many months on this native planet he stumbled accross an old axis base that was used during a battle and then abandoned and forgot about long ago. Near the base he found an old radio station that still seemed to be in working order, but it's only battery was dead. One day a few months later he saw an axis ship that was patroling the planet. So he waited for them to land in a small village and when they got out of their ship to get a drink in the local pub, he snuck inside their ship and stole their ship battery. Unfortunatly he was caught and taken aboard this space prision. He then askes you if you want to try and escape together by first stealing a battery, and then a couple escape pods to head toward the planet and radio for help. Well it sounded risky, but you glady accept the mission, seeing as how your memory will soon be scanned for useful information and then probably be executed for being a spy immediately afterward. So the first part of the game is you and this guy stealing a battery off this space station and then stealing a couple escape pods. Unfortunatly you both don't land in the same locations. While you land just northwest of a friendly village, the old man lands on a remote island far to the southeast. Before you can start you journey in search of the radio station you must first find a way to rescue the old man off the island, since he knows more about the planet than you do, and simply because he has the battery. Meanwhile, a team of axis soldiers have been dispatched on the planet in search of you and the old man. They've setup patrol areas that are on the look out for you in many areas, and they've even put up wanted signs for you in many towns. When you finally arrive at the island you see a traveling merchant. You briefly talk to him and he tells you that he was just at a crash site of a space ship. He notices that you are not from this planet and explains to you that these people are fully aware that other technologically advanced civilizations exist, and are used to space craft crashing on their planet and soldiers coming and going. They simply choose to live their lives and deal with it all, as long as they can continue to live in peace. In some parts of the planet, technologically advanced artifacts are banned, since they do not believe in technology. But in other parts of the planet, they are priceless! He tells you that he is on his way to Belataria, a major city to the west in the north land. When you finally arrive at the pods crash site, you find the old man dead. And the battery missing! After thinking about it, you realise that the traveling merchant you just spoke with must have taken it to sell at a city! And therefore you must now make your way to the city and search for this merchant. This is just what I've come up with so far, there are several other plot twists and such as the story evolves of course. So let me know what you think, and give me suggestions. Here is the address for the world map: www.dnslivegaming.com/neutralplanet/Neutral%20Planet%20Map.jpg Edited by - david7410 on June 1, 2001 7:24:55 PM
Advertisement
It sounds pretty good to me. What are you planning to have for graphics? I would advise a 2D top down view, to keep it simpler.
Yes, a 2D top down view is exactly what we had in mind.
Pretty good, but could use a little more originality in my opinion. Since you''re writing an RPG, you''ll probably want more character development, and a few more characters. The story behind the planet sounds intriguing, and if written and presented well should be one of the high points of the game.
Also, when I do this stuff, I like giving a character, possibly the main, some sort of psychological disorder. It makes things more interesting.

Just a few suggestions.

"To the journey."
------------------------------Omnipotent_Q"Poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric."
Give him his personal ghost. His doubts and fears made manifest. Have him conquer himself before winning the game.

coldacid

Meldstar Studios

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

I wrote some more:

Before the old man dies he tells you to find Leo. And that he will help you.

By talking to various people you stumble across a retired soldier that let's you in on a big secret. He tells you that the "axis" has made a deal with king. The king will let them drill this planet for resources, and in return the axis will not start destroying their civilization. It is being kept a secret from the people in fear of how they might react. The center piece of land is where the axis have setup drilling bases. This information comes as a surprise to you, because an act had been passes long ago that non-technologicalized neutral planets were to be left in peace. Any violation of this act would result in immediate support of the neutral planet and punishment to the violator(s). So you quickly add saving the planet from the "axis" to your "to do list" as number 2, right behind finding this Leo fellow who has information about finding this radio base.

When you finally make it to Belataria you search for this merchant that you think has the battery. After searching through the city you finally find the guy and he tells you that he already sold it to a collector that ownes a shop in a rural part of town. So you find this guy, but as he is selling you the battery a bunch of guards burst through the door and place him and you under arrest for trading illegal artifacts.

You are then sent to the royal city where you recieve a trial before the lands courts. You explain to the jury and the people that you are on a top secret mission to save their planet and the battery was something you needed to complete it. They laugh and you are quickly found guilty. And as the guards are leading you away through the crowd of people you shout, "Leo! If you hear me, I need your help! Pete sent me to find you!" Pete is the old man by the way.

So as you are sitting in your cell, a man who claimes to be named Leo comes to visit you. You explain the situation to him and he tells you that he was a good friend of Pete's. They traveled together for a while and he thinks he remembers the way to the old radio station. So now with Leo's help you break out of the cell and then must sneak into the castle and speak with the king. You finally find the king and tell him that your people can rid the "axis" from his planet. So he happily agrees and gives you the battery.

Now you and Leo start your journey for the radio station.

or something like that...

Edited by - david7410 on June 4, 2001 8:13:41 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement