🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

An interactive story... from a beginning programmer.

Started by
0 comments, last by stimarco 16 years ago
Hello. I am now programming my fourth game. I'm starting to get the hang of C++, so I am going to make an interactive story. This story is called FERAL. The story is as follows...

cout << "Welcome to FERAL..." << endl;
	cout << "Press enter to start..." << endl;
	getchar ();
	cout << "THE STORY" << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "Something inside you seems to be changing. [>]" << endl;
	getchar ();
	cout << "Is it you, or is your hair starting to get paler?" << endl;
	cout << "Is it you, or are your fingernails becoming harder and sharper?" << endl;
	cout << "You have been pondering such strange changes for two days now. [>]" << endl;
	getchar ();
	cout << "You are currently in your bedroom, lying in your bed." << endl;
	cout << "What do you do? [?]" << endl;
	cout << "1: Get out of bed" << endl;
	cout << "2: Stay in bed: I'm too tired!" << endl;

In case you haven't worked it out yet, you are turning into a wolf. The thing which makes this unique is a variable which shows how much of a wolf you are. It starts at 20 and gets higher as the game progresses. As this value gets higher, it is more likely that Feral Instinct will kick in, and your choice will be overridden by a feral action. Different actions add more to the feral value than others. The ultimate goal is up to you. Do you want to be wolf or human? You must also find out what has caused your transformation. That's all I know. I'd like some inspiration and ideas from this forum if that's OK.
Advertisement
You need to look into the "Interactive Fiction" field as what you seem to be working on fits that description. Back when I was a lad, we called these games "Text Adventures", but once graphics appeared on the scene, that term began to fall out of use.

You can see a modern, commercial take on the concept from Telltale Games. This company makes episodic adventure games that are essentially based on the older Text Adventure games, but adapted to use visual and audio media as well as text. (They're clearly inspired by LucasArts' seminal works in the same genre, including "Sam & Max", "Monkey Island", etc.)

Making a game more complex, rather than following the usual "Choose Your Own Adventure" route that most such games follow, is an unusual approach, but one which should be easier to pull off if you're sticking to text-based output. (That said, I think you're making a mistake by embedding the logic and text in the code itself, but that's a whole other thread!)

There is, incidentally, dedicated "Interactive Fiction" development software available. This might be a more sensible path if you're more interested in the writing and design challenges than the coding aspects.
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement