🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Recommended Books?

Started by
1 comment, last by Trapper Zoid 15 years, 11 months ago
Just looking for some books with good advice and can hopefully teach me something new and useful. I'm specifically interested in any that deal with writing for games (obviously) but any that are for writing for other forms of media are good to.
Advertisement
Story by Robert McKee is probably the best overall writing-theory book I know of. And its focus is screenwriting, which is the closest to writing for games besides things that are actually focused on games.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The only specific game writing book I own is Character Development and Storytelling for Games by Lee Sheldon. I've only skimmed through it some time ago myself so I can't remember how good it was; I seem to remember it being okay, but I haven't yet attempt to make a story heavy game that required extensive use of the book.

Edit: sunandshadow, Story by McKee looks pretty good. I'm hoping to work a bit on my creative writing next year, so I've added this to my Amazon wish list.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement