🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectX dual monitor debugging

Started by
3 comments, last by RPGElite 24 years, 6 months ago
I love that lightening bolt...

I'm not speaking from experience here, because I haven't tried it, but here's what I think. You're going to need Windows 98 or 2000, because you're going to need something that supports multiple monitors(obviously). I don't know if you can do this with 2 video cards, or if you need a dual-head one(like the newer Matrox cards).

Once you have that, you'll want to stick your debugging window onto the monitor you aren't going to use for graphics, and make sure that when you initialize your graphics stuff(I'm assuming that's you're working under windows here...) make sure to use the proper GUID for the device that uses the monitor you're working with.

Once again, this is simply off the top of my head, but maybe it'll help out a bit

Jonathan

Advertisement
1280x1024 16-bit? Hope you have a large monitor or it's eye strain city for you.

All the doc's I have read on the subject always refer to a monochrome monitor for the debugging window. But that doesn't seem right.

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Well, I just hooked up my second monitor to my Matrox a few days ago and it is easy to do. The scenario you gave is no problem.

------------------
Still Learning...

Still Learning...
How hard would it be to do this:
I would have my machine set up with 2 monitors each running 1280x1024 16-bit color depth. I compile/debug my full-screen DirectX application.

Now here's what I want to have happen - one monitor will run my DX app at 640x480x256 (for now), and the other monitor will run the VC++ debugger still in 1280x1024x65535. That way I can single-step through the code on one monitor and see the results full-screen on the other monitor.

Easy to do?
Hard to do?
Thanks.

------------------
gameguru4@yahoo.com

Well I have an ATI card as primary (where the application runs) and a S3 as secondary and all I have (and you too ) to do is to have VC++ debug window on the secondary monitor and it will work exactly as you want.

No need for dualhead system and no need for monochrome mode.

I don't know what I would have done w/o dual monitor system for debugging.

------------------
The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

Death is lifes way saying your fired.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement