🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectPlay opinions

Started by
1 comment, last by Facehat 24 years, 6 months ago
DirectPlay has some quirks but nothing that should prevent you from using it. I've read that some companies have had to rip out their DirectPlay code because of problems, but without more info on what their problems are I can't say whether their problems are valid. We're using DirectPlay in Antietam and I haven't heard of any problems so far that haven't been overcome.

------------------
Breakaway Games

[This message has been edited by Machaira (edited December 14, 1999).]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement
For a while now I have been toying with the idea of using DirectPlay in a game. Before I go about it though, I thought I'd ask what opinions people have about DirectPlay, and what there experiences with it were like. So far I'm pretty impressed with it, but I haven't done a whole ton with it yet so I can't really judge how well it would work in an actual game.

Any thoughts?

--TheGoop

I've never done any work with it but I thought I heard there were some lag issues along with it. We're those ever resolved (or even true)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement