🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

udp or tcp

Started by
2 comments, last by killra 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I''d like to know, whether multiplayer games "usually" use tcp or udp. Are there specific genres, which always use udp? Thanks for any answer!
Advertisement
Usually UDP with a guaranteed mechanism is a good way to go. DirectPlay handles this for you, btw.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I''m liking DPlay8 more and more with each post I hear about it, LostLogic.

So is it now possible to have DPlay simulate a normal UDP message AND a guaranteed UDP message? I know technically, DP is TCP-IP, but it almost seems like with the rewrite of DP8, they''ve given a bit of freedom of whether or not you actually HAVE to have a guaranteed message send.

If this is the case, then perhaps DP8 is way better than I think most people assume it is. It''s almost like its simulating giving the freedom of both TCP-IP and UDP.
DPlay8 uses UDP "under the covers."

You can specify at the message level whether or not you want guaranteed or non-guaranteed delivery. It is as easy as setting a single flag in the Send() or SendTo() function.

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement