🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

quake 3 arena engine

Started by
14 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
buy the game and wait for id to release the source code.

------------------

_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
Advertisement
I really don't think that id is just going to give away the quake 3 engine... That is until it's a couple year out of date.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

I'm sure you can get it. Just call id.

You DO have the $500,000 (I'm guessing) licensing fee, right?

Isn't the engine just the .dlls? People are already making mods for Quake 3, believe it or not. I don't know what bl was looking for though.
-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Hmmmmm Considering the Unreal engine started at $1,000,000 (I believe) I think the engine is going to be a bit higher than that Let's all follow Bill Gates around and bug him for some pocket change.

When you do license the engine, you do get the full package out of it though (source code and all). At least that's how it was with Quake 2 and Unreal engines.

I heard ID was severly lacking in Customer support on it though, while the other co that made unreal was excellent.

Has anybody ever thought of just making engines to license out? I'm kinda curious on this sort of thing - might be the way to go if you can't make a full game - just make the engine and then license out for $$$$.

Jim Adams

Well when you really look at Quake 3, that is what Id is really doing. I mean there is no single player mode with scripted scenarios/levels and ther is no real attempt at making a story/plot. They just dump you into a maze and let you gun down everybody. Quake 3 is just a kick a** demo of an awsome 3d eninge. Not that I am complaining. Quake 3 really exciting game IMHO :-) But it is basically Id showing of their engine for other developers.

It is people like Valve (maker of Half-Life, for those of you who live a sheltered life) that take this engines and really make them into intense worlds with plot and style and substance.

So what I am trying to say is that Id is in the business of making an engine and selling it to other developers. When we get to the point that network lag is a thing of the past and every one has super fast acess to the net with no delays, the successor of the Quake 3 (Quake 5?) could turn into THE Gameing OS. Think about.

Vijay Parikh

how do you make mods and models for q3a?
You might want to start looking at http://www.q3arena.com/

there's ALOT of sites out there for plain old quake and halflife mods, too.

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Heres how it goes:

-The dll files and tools (qeradiant) were released the other day. go to like www.fileplanet.com or www.quake3arena.com and you can probably find them there. Get this if you want to make mods. Basically what they give you is the header files, and the already compiled object files. You can change certain parts of the game, but none of the real technical stuff (rendering, network).

-if you want the full engine and source code...your going to be waiting a long time. They'll probably release it in 5 years. By full engine/source, I mean everything you would need to compile the entire game. You could buy it now for probably $1,000,000+. Of course when they release the source, that doesnt mean you get all the media...just the code (you still gotta buy the game to play the real thing).

Hmm...true...the engine goes for a good $1M+
But there is a game that's in the making right now that is using the Quake 3 engine. It's called Alice from EA (alice.ea.com)
Check it out...it seems to be a pretty cool game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement