🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Too much Forum

Started by
4 comments, last by Void 23 years ago
Am I the only person to feel the the recent change has spawned additional redundant forums. eg. (Game Programming, Platform Specific, Languages, Software Engineering), is there really a need to split up it into seperate forums? This seperate forums addes (IMO) unnecessarily complexity, especially when I catchup on the forums after missing it a few days. If "General Programming" seems too general, then maybe split into another forum but not too such extreme? KISS? Anyway share the same thoughts?
Advertisement
I couldn''t DISAGREE with you anymore.

I wont argue any further, since it isn''t worth it
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

- Steven Richards - AKA HTML_Dude
- Steven Richards - AKA HTML_Dude
Each forum has a specific purpose now.

Maybe (hypothetical situation) software engineering isn''t your thing, so you don''t have to visit there anymore, and the SE topics that you would have ignored will be in their own little forum.

They did this to manage content more neatly. Before, every programming question was lumped into one general forum, and about 90% of all the posts were of no interest to some people. This way, you can focus on your specific interests more.

I, myself, hate loading up a forum to find that 4 pages of new posts were posted in the past day, most of them about things i''m not interested in.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
The point of the forum organization was to correspond with the article sections (see the Articles/Resources categories). Very few things on this site are standalone features now. While this IS a good number of forums, and it is NOT something we would have done in the past, it''s something we decided to do because we want to be able to grow without having major growing pains. Not only that, but now it is easier to view articles and discuss them than it was before. Please, explore the entire site and see what we have to offer now. There are reasons why we did everything in this new design.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

I think it''s about right now. There would be a lot of OpenGL people who aren''t interested in DirectX, (and vice versa,) and that''s now fixed. Software Engineering serves a valuable purpose for the more advanced aspects of design, most of which would mean little to the majority of people who post in the General/Game Programming forums anyway. I think that having more forums actually makes it easier to keep track when you''ve been away for a few days, cos the new topics are likely to be on just one page, rather than before where 90% of the new activity would be in General/Game programming and take up 3 or 4 pages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement