🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rendering tall stuff

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
You could just scan down a whole lot of rows

The current method we implement is to prescan the map and know which tiles will appear that high. Then you can mark the tiles above it so they know there is a tile in there that has to be drawn.

Of course there's more to it, but that's the basics of it.

------------------
Jim Adams
Co-Designer 'The Light Befallen'
tcm@pobox.com
http://www.lightbefallen.com

Advertisement
If I pre-scanned the map and used a linked list to hold the marked tiles, would that be too much of a slow down?
If done right - the prescan only takes a few seconds. As for using Linked-Lists - that's completely up to you, but I don't think it'll slow it down much since you aren't going to need to access the list that much during a frame render.

For instance, only scan it when you are drawing your top-most strip of tiles. They hold the variable telling the engine how many tiles down to scan. That's one more variable per tile draw across the top to track, and it's only done once per render.

------------------
Jim Adams
Co-Designer 'The Light Befallen'
tcm@pobox.com
http://www.lightbefallen.com

How is it possible to render the hills and mountains that is not in the immediate area (not between x and y) but further down the map? Usually iso maps are blitted using a tile counter (for x do this; for y do this .

For example I'm looking at this field of grass and the very bottom of the screen I will be able to see a mountain top.

Thanks for any help.

One thing to consider is that entities that move around need to appear correctly too. That is, a "unit" standing on the mountaintip obviously need to be rendered in front of a unit standing (partly) behind the tip.

I've used a depth sorted tree with great success.

Even though BSP trees are generally associated with polygon based engines, they can be usefull with sprite engines as well (it is essentially the same thing you are trying to accomplish, just with a different 3D->2D mapping, and rasterization technique).

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement