🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

If you could tell an aspiring writer one thing, what would it be?

Started by
6 comments, last by Musicole 15 years, 2 months ago
If you had only one sentence to describe the most important thing you could do as an aspiring writer, what would it be? Short and sweet. Here's mine. Imagery is KEY.
Advertisement
Write what you know, not what you read.
Write. A lot.
There was a thread on Absolute Write asking basically this question a while ago.

In that thread I said, figure out your ending before you start writing and make sure it's one you're so excited about that you'll be eager to write your way to it.

Also, analyze what you read and keep an analytical journal of your thoughts.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Writing is based on experiences, though knowledge makes an excellent filler, no one can ever completely convey with words the feelings of being lost in a dark wood or having climbed the highest mountain and looking out to view the curve of the earth with your own eyes, but having those experiences yourself, tempered with a good vocabulary and sense of how words work in conjunction with one another, will allow for those feeling to be expressed the best.

Yes... that is one sentence, and it is correct so :P
Quote: Original post by Durakken
Writing is based on experiences, though knowledge makes an excellent filler, no one can ever completely convey with words the feelings of being lost in a dark wood or having climbed the highest mountain and looking out to view the curve of the earth with your own eyes, but having those experiences yourself, tempered with a good vocabulary and sense of how words work in conjunction with one another, will allow for those feeling to be expressed the best.

Are you sure about that? ;)
Quote: Original post by Musicole

certain but I still missed an "s" in there so who knows. I'm not the best with grammar, but then that's what an editor is for.
Quote: Original post by Musicole

certain but I still missed an "s" in there so who knows. I'm not the best with grammar, but then that's what an editor is for.

I was thinking that after "experiences" you'd need some kind of colon/semicolon. I was just pickin' with you, though. I'm not too great at grammar, myself. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement