🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help me coin a term for an interdimensional corporation

Started by
8 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 15 years, 1 month ago
Basically I'm working on a game with a friend of mine and the "big bad guy" is this corporation that travels across dimensions to exploit resources from everywhere. It's a little campy but bear with me hehe [smile] Anyways the goal of this corporation is to come up with a power or build a tool that would allow them to be persistently influential across all possible dimensions. I figure this type of corporation would ascend the etymology of the word "corporation" (corpus - body, something that has substance they are more celestial if you will now). I was wondering if anyone was good with Latin or just really clever with the English language to come up with a new term for it.
Advertisement
Whats in a name? Would Rose not smell just as sweet given any other name?

The point of that little line is that given that your company spans many worlds/dimensions for exploitation it may also go by many different names, especially considering that other dimensions may have completely different languages or ways of speaking that don't really accommodate the human/english word/term/concept "corporation" (or the ability to speak at all).

So you could call them the "Corpus Transtech Corporation" here, but for all you know they're called the "Zkhden *insert smell here*" in some other dimension/planet.
Transmission Non-Corporeal.
Trans - as in Trans-dimensional
Mission - well they have a mission which is to influence multiple dimensions
Non-Corporeal - Not of a natural body.
Or Transstring with reference to the String Theory.
Ok I will stop :)
Millestial Corp.

A Type V interdimensional company that harvests flowing and
stored energy across thousands of systems in the multiverse.
Quote: Original post by Gazillion
Basically I'm working on a game with a friend of mine and the "big bad guy" is this corporation that travels across dimensions to exploit resources from everywhere. It's a little campy but bear with me hehe [smile]
So we are talking about something along the lines of Wolfram & Hart or Bad Wolf?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote: Original post by Gyrthok
Whats in a name? Would Rose not smell just as sweet given any other name?

The point of that little line is that given that your company spans many worlds/dimensions for exploitation it may also go by many different names, especially considering that other dimensions may have completely different languages or ways of speaking that don't really accommodate the human/english word/term/concept "corporation" (or the ability to speak at all).

So you could call them the "Corpus Transtech Corporation" here, but for all you know they're called the "Zkhden *insert smell here*" in some other dimension/planet.

Sorry I wasn't asking for the name of the corporation but instead an alternative to the word "corporation". If you look at the etymology of the word it comes from corpus which means something that has mass or is tangible.

If the corporation had influence on every single possible reality in existence they'd develop some sort of god complex where they could basically get their way so they stop being corporation and they start being a X where X is a name that means non-corpus entity.

I guess this is a really odd request seeing how it's a very trivial detail, I'm mostly asking for fun at seeing what kind of ideas would pop up and then steal the best one. [lol]

And for simplicity, I won't be creating an infinite amount of languages for the game, I'll just assume it's company policy to speak in English :P
Quote: Original post by swiftcoder
Basically I'm working on a game with a friend of mine and the "big bad guy" is this corporation that travels across dimensions to exploit resources from everywhere. It's a little campy but bear with me hehe [smile]
So we are talking about something along the lines of Wolfram & Hart or Bad Wolf?

I guess it would be similar. The way I saw it was that a company in some dimension discovers interdimensional travel and instead of exhausting the resources in their own they start exploiting others. As the company gets bigger and bigger it gets restructured, lobbies governments of other dimensions, annexes cultures into its own, etc. You know, the cliche evil-corporation.

So after some time they have a risk assessment meeting and figure out that with infinite possibilities there are an infinite way they can get screwed so they put a lot of dough in R&D to distribute their influence in ALL realms. This is what the hero/player has to stop (by gathering three misfits hehehe) because then the corporation would reach a sort of godlike level of influence on stuff.

Consonassi Cimeli

A Type V interdimensional organization (a consonassy) that facillitates
entity in one realm to borrow the power of another realm in exchange
of power of their realm to be used in other realms.
Sorry I wasn't asking for the name of the corporation but instead an alternative to the word "corporation". If you look at the etymology of the word it comes from corpus which means something that has mass or is tangible.

Why can't you just use an online thesaurus:

Syndicate
Cartel
Monopoly
Combine
Guild
Enterprise
Conglomerate
Association
Body

Then you can warp the term a bit to suit your needs.

A fictional term I use for a government that uses "corporate feudalism" for some of my projects is Sectorate or Transectorate (derived from Sectors of the economy) - just throwing that out there.

Transconglomeration? Transyndication? The Guild? The Body? Multiverse Unlimited? D-Dealers? Stuff R Us?
[url="http://groupgame.50.forumer.com/index.php"][/url]
Tangireon's suggestion is sensible: the proper name of this organization might be as fancy as the founders want, but a fancy common name implies an unlikely change of laws. The term "corporation" is both non-problematic (there's nothing to "transcend" except taxes) and quite specific of certain countries/cultures.

Some inventor's startup is likely to have nothing more than an official company-type designation (LLC, GmbH, etc.) from whatever jurisdiction they were founded in, e.g. "Seletti & Caruso Srl".
Then it would change form ("Seletti & Caruso SpA") and grow similarly named subsidiaries ("Seletti & Caruso Suisse SA"), with the practical effect that the whole group would be known only by its proper name.

As it grows and spreads, the company is likely to acquire nicknames while remaining the same sort of company; they might be called informally "the pillagers" here and "the red gods" there, but still remain a plain corporation at home, a branch corporation, government agency etc. where they are welcome, and a band of pirates without legal protection where they aren't.

Some otherworld branches can be something different from traditional European corporation types; alien cultures could have families, criminal gangs, individual enterprises, bee-like colonies, no money, and anything else you can invent to complicate economy.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement