🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3d level editor

Started by
1 comment, last by zoomcrypt 22 years, 12 months ago
what is some good software for designing 3d levels? I"ve been using milkshape for models. COmbined with the lithunwrap program, i''m very happy with the results. I need something to use for creating my levels now. What do people use for that?
SkullOne - Hero Interactivehttp://www.hero-interactive.com
Advertisement
The best way to edit levels is to create a custom level editor.
You can create an editor specific for your game (wich is generally a good idea). But if your engine is a flexible one, intended to be used for several different games, I personally recommend designing your own custom level modeller/editor.

At Nutritious, the solution has been to create an Engine that is quite flexible, and can be used for several different game types (1st person, 3rd person, flying, racing etc..). Therefore, the editor had to reflect that kind of flexibility too.
It is a much harder solution, but you can use the same editor for several games. Such an editor is ofcourse always a work-in-progress, but at some point, the editor goes "workable" at some stage.

If you choose to create a custom editor for just one game, then try to make a lot of objects (trees, walls, doors, ), then combine them by using icons or something like that. Think of them as building-block for your environment. Such an editor is not hard to make, but must be easy to extend with new objects etc., and that´s the true task.

Ofcourse, the easiest solution would be to use a standard modeller (like QED or Q3Radiant), but such modellers are quite expensive, and not always the perfect solution. You can have problems with compatibility, not the right features and so on.

So my best advise:
Make your own.

Tue Hald Madsen
Nutritious Games
Tue Hald MadsenNutritious Games
Most professional games have custom level editors, but if you''re a hobbiest, like myself, you don''t have time to make an editor. A friend and I have been using 3ds max. Maxscript makes it easy to export data to a custom file format.

So if you''re using a custom engine and don''t want to create a custom editor the only requirement is a program that allows you to create custom exporters.

--
http://www.3dcgi.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement