🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do you handle your team (copyright) ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Jester101 22 years, 11 months ago
Hello, now after I finally have a team I am wondering how you handle the copyright thing. The point is that the artists could "steal" a picture, etc. from somewhere, give it to me as "new" and I get sued for it. If it wouldn''t be the internet I would simply let him sign a contract. But I can''t even make sure my artists are 18! For sure I believe in the honesty of my team, but I don''t want to lose all my money to a silly copyright lawsuit. Any ideas? Experiences?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
Well, besides checking around (there are some websites that will look for a given pic name, but it''s not totally accurate) there''s really not much you CAN do.
http://edropple.com
See if the style of the pictures are similar...
Check filedates..
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Someone else suggested to let the artists send you in-work-pictures, so that you can see he began from scratch.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

In my experience it hasn''t been a problem (although I am only ONE!)

Anyway, what usually happens is you will learn to trust each member of your team fully (I personally do) and you will learn what the artists style is like and it would be so obvious (probably heh) that its not there work...

Just my thoughts =)

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
I believe that you can bring the person who gave you the work into court or into the issue if it ever happens. It wouldn''t really be your fault because you could claim non-knowablility (it has some offical name, but I couldn''t think of it right now, so I just used that.)

Alex Ford
PointSoft EA Co., Ltd.
http://www.pointsoftonline.com
For any and all business ventures, you need some sort of written agreement. You could add a clause that will put the liability on the person that caused the copyright violation. I would do some research on the federal copyright laws, and if you have a virtual team, you may have to look into some international stuff, and the laws for the specific country.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement