🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Technical question about alpha compositing

Started by
1 comment, last by MasterWorks_Software 22 years, 11 months ago
Hello to whoever can help me! I have a pretty robust game engine as it stands now, and I would like to incorporate some live action footage for special effects such as explosions and smoke, etc. Here''e my problem: The media that I have is a numbered Targa sequence (ie, Fire001.tga, Fire002.tga, Fire003.tga, etc.) but this TGA sequence does NOT have an embedded alpha channel. I do, however, have the alpha mattes as a SEPARATE TGA sequence (FireMatte001.tga, FireMatte002.tga) which are just regular grayscale images. Does anybody know how to use a program to load the grayscale sequence into the ALPHA channel of the RGB sequence, so that I can just have one 32-bit sequence? (This is what my game needs). I have access to Photoshop, After Effects, and paint* from Discreet Logic, and I will buy more software if it is necessary to complete this task. Any advice welcome! (Also, somebody please let me know if there might be a better forum to post this question in.) Best wishes, Jay Wheeler MasterWorks Software
Advertisement
I think Photoshop, will do it, OK, try this, not sure but...

Open firematte001.tga, select all and copy, now open fire001.tga, open the alpha channel tabs (by the layers/history, etc) create a new alpha channel (click the blank page at the bottom) and paste your alpha image (that you copied earlier) into it, Now save this image as "fireandmatte.tga" or something in another folder or something and it should include the alpha channel, Hope this helps and works

Psionic

PSIONIC ARTWORK
Well that''s easy, but I''m talking about thousands of frames of animation... I don''t really want to repeat that process over and over, and Photoshop actions can''t handle doing the process you described, so I''m stuck!

Can anybody tell me how to perform this action on a SEQUENCE of files?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement