🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Strategic Gameplay idea

Started by
2 comments, last by Osvir 14 years, 11 months ago
Hello, Osvir here. I am a man with ideas, constant ideas. I have thousands of ideas that I need pop out somewhere, I'll begin with something of "less" importance to me. I have a few game titles that I have progressed rather far in (regarding story, gameplay idea, design and characters etc. etc.) that I'd rather not get "stolen" or "taken". Sure I'd love to see a game idea I came up get on console/computer format, but rather when I have developed the game. But here is a strategy gameplay idea that I want to toss around a little. Genre: Action/RTS (Co-op Strategy (Possibly MMO)) Title: No title idea, perhaps Expansion idea for Dawn of War 2. But that would be slightly boring. Idea: The idea is really simple, you work together with your friends, or people on the net on a battlefield. The easiest way for me to explain is to use "Dawn of War 2" as an example really. You control the Blood Ravens, your friend controls the Blood Angels. You control the troops on ground, he controls the troops in space. So, you play 2on2, 1on1 on ground and 1on1 in space one could think? Not entirely true, because on the ground there would be various ways for the player to get to certain points to assist the one in space and (obviously) the same thing the other way around. Control on Ground: There is a base of operations (which you can not control, AI controlled) and you have to defend it. You also have to attack the opponent (to win the "match" of course). You can go to certain points, such as "jammers" to jam the enemy battle space ship for a while, or send small attack space-ships unto the enemy space ship (to assist your friend in space). There really isn't much to say for ground combat, well the thing I see in front of me is the gameplay of "Dawn of War 2". The interesting thing is in space. Control in Space: You control a large battlecruiser. You can zoom into the ship to control your troops directly (as Dawn of War 2 style) or zoom out outside. You can board enemy vessels, plant a bomb into it and, if you are on verge of defeat/destruction, evacuate and land on the planet below to continue fighting. You can also directly assist the person fighting on ground by artillery fire or sending down troops. This is the jist of it, there is tons and tons of more but I don't want to write a "50 page post" as I read somewhere. Well what do you think? Suggestions?
Advertisement
this goes in the "Game Design" section, not this one, do you ppl not read......
Quote: Original post by Osvir
I am a man with ideas, constant ideas. I have thousands of ideas
You and everybody else, I'm afraid.

Your idea sounds OK, but I'd have to see it in an actual game to be able to really see. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure what the point of "co-operative" play is if you're not really co-operating (only indirectly).

I think the co-op play in Red Alert 3 was fantastic (so much so, that trying to do the campaign in single-player mode was a real let-down). I think a co-op mode where you have less interaction with your buddy is a step backwards...
Quote: this goes in the "Game Design" section, not this one, do you ppl not read......

Oh damn >.> I did read, but when I begin to write (I actually began writing about a totally different thing, a story. But then I realized "No, no this is a too good idea I can't post this" so I changed my directive and wrote about this instead. And somewhere in the back of my head I only seemed to recall this about "where to write your game design":

"When you write a story, don't write about game design in the story. Many do that" or something like that. Nevermind this is an excuse really, yes I did read but I mixed it up.

Quote: I think a co-op mode where you have less interaction with your buddy is a step backwards...

Well that depends on how you see it really. You would interract with your buddy directly, this wouldn't be different from you having ground units and I have air units in Warcraft 3.

Or maybe I send some troops to your base, to defend it, or send some troops to the enemy when you attack it. The interraction would still be there directly, but you wouldn't see each other visually as you do in most other strategy games.

I also had the thought of some sort of "SPORE" mechanic that you could zoom out to check on your buddy. And then it wouldn't be any different.

But then the issue "What happens to the troops on the ground if I zoom out?", either they become A.I with "hotkey" control when you zoom out or... I don't know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement