🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lots of character in a short amount of time

Started by
4 comments, last by Atrix256 14 years, 11 months ago
Hey Everypeople! I'm doing writing, art, and programming for a little game with a little dev team, and the story has me stuck. It's a sidescrolling platform/shooter, similar to something like a metal slug/rampage bastard child. The story itself is shown in between stages in short clips (less than two or three minutes apiece). While the story is small, I don't want it to feel thin. Does anybody have any helpful tips or techniques for conveying a lot of character and story in a very short amount of time? (thanks for being an awesome forum!)
Advertisement
Start with motivation. Your not just telling short stories, your telling one story in shorts. If the game has some dramatic bad guy your initial movie should introduce the reasoning as to why your fighting or some such.

Once you've built on that drama, you can do action shorts, or build intrigue whatever suits the game more. These shorts should be to the point, if your dragging out that 3 minutes its not going to be fun to watch.

The other thing you can do is make sure you have a complete story to break down into these shorts, that way you can emphasis parts once you have spread out the guts so to speak, this is going to add the punch you want to emphasis in the game.
I don't see the problem. Is it that you don't want to spend a lot of time making the story csceens, or is it that you don't what to slow the game with lots of story?
Awesome advice, thanks!

Quote: Original post by Kohake
I don't see the problem. Is it that you don't want to spend a lot of time making the story csceens, or is it that you don't what to slow the game with lots of story?

It's that I want the story to move quickly, but I don't want it to feel rushed or hastily written.
So it's a rellativly long story for the relativly short game?

How about putting some of the story in the game real-time? A chat with the bad guy and a fight with him/her/it can happend simultaniously. (just an example)
Maybe you should leave more of the story to the imagination of the player (:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement