🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where Do I Fit In?

Started by
5 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 14 years, 11 months ago
This is probably going to be one large paragraph that is very unstructured but I'm sure it'll make sense. Where do amateur writers fit in on the amateur/hobby game design scene? Anyone who was raised properly has the ability to write down words in a sequence that make sense and eventually tell a story for a game. So we're not really in demand. Jobs like programming, art, etc. is something not everyone can do which makes the demand much higher. So where do I get my experience? Where do I get to work on projects that I can show when I go and try to push into the game development writing scene? Does anyone have any advice for someone who has no game projects under their belt? How do I find work with a project? Most projects I see already have a premise and a story. But writers are more than that. Scripting, characters, etc. What about those? Do I need another skill in order to find work? Such as programming? I just don't know where I should look or begin. Thanks for any help and insight!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Xnipes
Where do amateur writers fit in on the amateur/hobby game design scene? Anyone who was raised properly has the ability to write down words in a sequence that make sense and eventually tell a story for a game. So we're not really in demand.

Most anyone can tell a story, but not everyone can tell a good story, and even fewer can tell stories effectively. Being a game writer involves more than providing reasoning and background for the existence of a character or location. Game writing, done properly in conjunction with gameplay, visuals, sound and music, is what transforms Game X into a compelling and memorable experience.

Sadly, the demand for a game writer is low in part because a lot of developers fail to see the value in a talented wordsmith. It's not uncommon for an indie project or even a full-fledged gaming studio to overlook the importance of having someone on their staff who can coherently organize plot and present characters in a meaningful and effective way.

The best way to find your place as a writer is to write. If you're new to the whole scene, don't scramble over looking for a project to jump aboard; the time for that will come later. Instead, work on locating your own personal talents and quirks as a writer. If it helps, practice writing as if you were on a project already--write about some fantastical species or a character that's featured in the game-to-be.

If you're to the point where you're confident in your skills as a writer, present yourself. New projects are always looking for writers, and the best way to be seen is to put your work forward and have it read. For hobby game development, it's not worth it to spend all your time hunting for open positions. Show the community what you can do, and let interested parties come to you.

[Edited by - Omega147 on August 8, 2009 3:38:15 AM]
Great advice Omega.
And say I did want to put my work out there to attract possible projects? What sort of work will interest people? Short stories, stories, game ideas, characters, plots, scripts?

And although I fail to mention this: I do write. Not being on a project doesn't stop me from writing. It's just that I didn't know how to showcase my work and get out there... especially for someone who isn't at the level for working on professional projects.
Quote: Original post by Omega147
The best way to find your place as a writer is to write.

QFT. The way to show that you can do the job is... to already be doing the job. Having done the job is pretty convincing evidence of ability to do the job!
Besides, if you say you want to write, you should already be writing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Xnipes
What sort of work will interest people? Short stories, stories, game ideas, characters, plots, scripts?

When you put up sample work, treat it like you would a résumé: quick and to the point. Make larger pieces available, but don't make them the centerpiece. One or two character background blurbs, a short script, and a brief description of a race/faction would be plenty--whatever you put up, keep it varied and in small doses. Interested project leaders will follow the clues to look at your longer work.
If you're looking for a solo project that focuses on writing, you could work on interactive fiction, a.k.a. text-based adventure games. There are engines out there that do the brunt of the coding work for you, so it's perfect for a writer/designer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement