🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm trying to write stories for games, but...

Started by
7 comments, last by Xamusel 14 years, 10 months ago
Yes, I'm stuck without a suitable way to get stories out into a game with whatever I can use, which means that I've been without a PC for a looong time. If only I had a PC, then... nevermind that, I got some sort of solution, and that's Python... my hand hurts (due to bike crash earlier today). Anyway, I happen to have some ideas going through my head, but they aren't exactly game ideas. Would it be alright for me to put them up here? I need some criticism for my ideas, anyway, regardless of what origin they have... coughfanfictioncough.
Most likely the n00biest programmer out there. I need a website soon so that I can share my projects with you (when done with my projects).
Advertisement
This forum specifically does not permit fan ideas because they infringe on copyrights. On the other hand, non-game original story ideas are fine. *wonders how the heck python, a programming language, would be of any use with out a computer to use it on*

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Okay, actually, I have a Mac... I just prefer the game creation done on a PC.

Also, I didn't know about the no fan ideas rule, it never came across to me right... and even I don't know what that means.
Most likely the n00biest programmer out there. I need a website soon so that I can share my projects with you (when done with my projects).
Quote: Original post by thechocobohunter
didn't know about the no fan ideas rule... and even I don't know what that means.

You don't know what "fan fiction" means? Then why did you write "coughfanfictioncough" in your original post? If you need to know what fan fiction means, this should help.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
didn't know about the no fan ideas rule... and even I don't know what that means.

You don't know what "fan fiction" means? Then why did you write "coughfanfictioncough" in your original post? If you need to know what fan fiction means, this should help.

Maybe he meant writing 'fiction' and he's a 'fan' of these forums > fanfiction. He he, I don't know, it's a wild guess.
The "no fan-content" rule is pretty simple: do not post anything in this forum which violates anyone's copyrights. That means no characters named Kael'thas, Inu Yasha, Bowser, Batman or Darth anything, no creatures named Tauren, Zerg, or Pokemon, no Hogwarts or Pern or X-wings or Death Stars or Death Notes... do I heed to go on? I have nothing personally against fanfiction and enjoy reading it or roleplaying it sometimes, but this website's official policy is to not tolerate copyright infringement. There's nothing wrong with getting inspiration from other games, anime, movies, and books, but if you want to do everything legally you gotta change the names to protect the 'innocent' (i.e. yourself, from being sued).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote: Original post by Lnnskay
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper

Maybe he meant writing 'fiction' and he's a 'fan' of these forums > fanfiction. He he, I don't know, it's a wild guess.

Keep in mind I meant the "no fan-content" rule, not the other things you could have meant, just to clear things up.

@sunandshadow: I understand what you're referring to, and I know that this site doesn't want copyright laws on your back, so let me just say this: I only wanted to find out how to write any story better, even if it is fanfiction, due to me being stuck working on story lines for a long time... even though I have a visual novel making program for the mac (oops, I'm getting off topic, sorry).
There are plenty of forums where you are welcome to discuss fanfiction, such as Gaia Online's writing forum, and I believe Nanowrimo and AbsoluteWrite also permit discussion of fanfiction. GameDev's policy, however, is that we don't allow discussion of fanfiction or fangames here. If you want to start a topic here, try asking about a specific writing issue, or about other people's writing process, or recommendations of how to write books, or how to get going on an original story project.

Thank you for pointing that out for me.

Also, I have a story idea that you guys might like, that will be put onto a site called Fiction Press after you guys critique it.

What do you think?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement