🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting a history - need help

Started by
3 comments, last by enricomiranda 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi people! Intro about myself: This is my first post here. A while ago, me and a few friends came up with the idea of making a game, just for the sake of it. All the three of us know somewhat how to code, but we actually have different interests on making the game. Point is: I got more excited about the design. I've been doing a course and reading books on the subject. And I think before I really get into the rules and gameplay, I will write the story. I've been wondering and gathering ideas for some time now, and I think I'm ready to start writing the story. English is not my primary language, so any help, advice and even rewriting of some part will be very welcome! So, here it comes. --------------------------------------- History: I am the one older than time itself. I am the one who is the father of everything, including myself. Finding myself in this infinite ocean of nothing was really unpleasant(ocean of boredom instead?), so I started experimenting. I created the lights and the shadows. It was good, yet the complex game between light and shadows stopped to amuse me. There was something else needed - something that could astonish me, something that could make things more interesting. I created the universe, and all matter and physics. It was good, but too strict. Too constrained. I had an idea then - I chose one planet that I liked, and started playing with this thing I called "life": One very special set of matter, aligned in such a way that it could reproduce itself. With life began competition - each of these "living" creatures tried to make itself superior to each other. As entertaining as seeing their struggle for survival could be, I decided to create a special form of life. One that could think. One that knew it was alive, and had power to understand its surrounding. They should chose what they do, and understand the consequences of their choices. They should understand that the balance is the key, and act ultimately as my minions, helping to achieve balance. In the beggining, it was good. Yet, the competition that was inherent to all life was much stronger in their kind, and they began competing with themselves. It was not intended to have what was considered my best creation destroying itself. It was painful. Then I felt like I couldn't stand it any longer - I chose some of the most powerful beings and made them demigods. I tried to have all of the demigods balanced, so that they would help achieving the balance in the world, and then I slowly slumbered into sleep. Before I fell asleep, I could see the less powerful beings starting to worship these demigods, just as planned. ------------------------------------------------------- Objective: I want a game that passes somewhere like the actual world. These demigods would be greek-like mithology, and they would fight later and become just one god - like monotheist religions nowadays. I also wanted the idea of a world where there was no real power. A world somehow left behind, without care of a superior being. The real god just got "angry" at the way things were going, and instead of releasing some wrath it just went to do something else, not caring about what was going on here. This god being somewhat angry to the world though is something I will need to come back later in the history of the game, because it will be the keypoint for one of the big events I am planning for the history. Feels like I used I too much on the text.... Would really appreciate feedback and comments!
Advertisement
Well, it sounds original. Sharp, to the point. The thing is though, who is actually going to make the game? You? If so then how this story is written doesn't matter.
Quote: Original post by Lnnskay
Well, it sounds original. Sharp, to the point. The thing is though, who is actually going to make the game? You? If so then how this story is written doesn't matter.

Hi Lnnskay! Firstly, I'd like to thank you for your feedback!
Well, we plan on developing the game at first and then releasing it as an open-source project, so other people could contribute too.
At the moment, we are developing some initial graphic engine - we already got a (flat) ground and non-animated models that walk on the ground.
Even though it is just ourselves that are making the game initially, I want to have a nice background story. This could also help gather people to help the project, because a nice story has always (at least for me) made the game just much more interesting.
We want to develop at least a very basic, but playable game before we open the project.

I tried to make the story right to the point - details help flavouring the story, but I think that too much detail here might take away the focus from the main part of the story.

Again, thank you for your feedback! :)
It is nice to come to a forum where people won't just troll and flame in topics hehe
Ok, no problem. I've re-read your post. Haven't found the genre, I suppose it will be a strategy game with various factions?
I was thinking on the MMORPG side with some strategy. Gotta go from work now, might come later and talk more about it =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement