🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[UFEC] Business side of UFEC

Started by
10 comments, last by swiftcoder 14 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Are you publicising this on other sites, issuing press releases, etc? I suggest you aim big. Approach well-known companies about prizes. And see if you can get any big-shots involved in the judging.
I have little to no experience with this. I will try, certainly, but it would be so much better if any of you could point me to some articles about it or give me advice yourself. And as for aiming big, do I have a right to do that? What should I say to well-known companies to make them give away money for some contest that I organise? We are not backed up by Gamedev. What should I say them?
Advertisement
One more thing:

We could put something in our signatures on this forum. A clicky link with something like "UFEC programming contest - join!" What say you about this?
Well we could try doing something like the following. If you are aware of the red campaign in which companies will give money to Africa. We might say every time you buyour winners games we will donate 25 cents to Africa (Now the sponsors will pay to have there "logos" as part of the splash screen the people who care about Africa and games will win). Or something nutty like that.

Edit:

The basic idea is that corporations such as Microsoft,Google will pony up the prize money. This is to encourage the developers to create a great game, but not only this you will be selling your game as well. For every .25 cents you donate these companies will agree to "match". Under normal circumstances it unlikely your game would sell that well (after only 6 months) but this has the added benefit of using "guilt" about Africa it just might. To add some extra incentive companies will also agree to match every dollar that is sent to you to Africa.

Why would these companies do this? Image is everything. Its so that they can get some "good PR" for a few sheckles to look like they are "socially concise", in goggles case it would look like they are still "cool".

[Edited by - Aiursrage on November 1, 2009 12:25:46 PM]
I dream hard of helping people.
I'm not experienced in this also,but may I suggest aproaching the big boys at a later stage in the contest?
Currently its unclear even to ourselves how many participants there will be or how many finished games will be published on the site.
So at this point I suggest promoting the contest to participants instead of sponsors.
Yeah, it's gonna be pretty hard to get the attention of the big boys at this stage. Perhaps even for this first edition of the contest. If UFEC-1 turns out to have good participation, maybe the big companies will be more interested in contributing to subsequent contests in the following years.
In a way, I still see this as a trial contest.
Still, great job on organizing everything so far :) Hope this contest establishes itself if the official 4E is gone for good.
If we have more than one Unofficial Four Elements Contest won't that make it kind of ... official?
The Official Unofficial Four Elements Contest >_>
I guess it's up to GDev to explicitly say "Go on, 4E is from now on in your hands, my sons."
I was wondering... could you give me links to some other game development sites where the press release could be posted?
Quote: Original post by Lesan
I was wondering... could you give me links to some other game development sites where the press release could be posted?
I can't remember if the decision was ever made - are we accepting Mac entries or not?

If you like, I can send an announcement to iDevGames (the major Mac gamedev crowd), as I correspond now and then with the staff there.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote: I can't remember if the decision was ever made - are we accepting Mac entries or not?

So far, no.

But if there is a completely legal and easy possibility of installing a virtual-machine Mac where 3D games work on a Windows machine, then yes. However, I believe that is impossible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement