🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[UFEC] Element: Proliferation discussion thread.

Started by
6 comments, last by AJirenius 14 years, 7 months ago
I need a little clarification on this element, some of the comments in other threads seem to point to most of my ideas not qualifiying. I don't see why via the dictionary definitions, and according to the rules as used in previous 4E contests and stated on the website these should all be valid. I'll throw in as many other questions/examples I can think of as well, might was well try to get everything cleared up for everyone. Ignore the other elements in the examples please, they're just for the sake of finding what's possible with this element. 1. a rapid and often excessive spread or increase 2. the growth or production of cells by multiplication of part It's been said in another thread that an increase in enemies as time goes on in itself doesn't qualify, but doesn't that meet definition 1? What about the other uses of proliferation, such as weapons proliferation or nuclear proliferation? Does creatures/items/etc... multiplying absolutely have to occur on screen, or can it be a core story element driving the game? (for example, a top down rail shooter where you're fighting into a body to stop an infection, or trying to fight your way to the mad scientists lab who's using an evil cloning maching to send an army of evil clones at you) What about non-action games like adventure games, where the story progression is the main part of the game, so long as the elements are core to the story shouldn't that be fine? (Obviously this would apply to the storyline in other game types such as RPG's as well, so long as it's important to the game and changing it would be significant)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Raptor85
1. a rapid and often excessive spread or increase
2. the growth or production of cells by multiplication of part

It's been said in another thread that an increase in enemies as time goes on in itself doesn't qualify, but doesn't that meet definition 1?
Nope. Definition 1 specifies that the enemies themselves must reproduce/multiply, whereas the game in question simply featured an increasing stream of non-reproducing opponents.

Quote: Does creatures/items/etc... multiplying absolutely have to occur on screen, or can it be a core story element driving the game?
Either way should be fine, as long as the concept is explicit that *something* essential is proliferating.

Quote: What about non-action games like adventure games, where the story progression is the main part of the game, so long as the elements are core to the story shouldn't that be fine?
As I see it, that should be fine, as long as the presence of each element affects the gameplay in some way. For instance, if your heroine carries a flaming torch that can be used to light their path, that would count as an insignificant presence and score low. If the torch is also necessary to burn through wooden obstacles, that would be a significant gameplay effect of fire, and you should be fine.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

What swiftcoder said is correct.

The more the elements are present in the game, the more points you get. If Proliferation is, for example, only mentioned in the beginning "Your enemies are viruses that proliferate rapidly," then that's about 1 point. If, however, proliferation is pointed out in every level of the game, you get more points. And if, in the story, proliferation suddenly stops and it AFFECTS the gameplay, for example, there will be an easier level (since the virus does not proliferate anymore), you get even more points.
I'm wondering,does the abilitiy to duplicate oneself,count as proliferation?
What if the clones can also duplicate themselves?
I'm speaking of the case where this ability is made essential to the gameplay ofcourse.
I fully endorse this as proliferation. The clones are proliferating, even if they die afterward and the total number of clones remains the same. So long it is essential to the gameplay, like you get 5 seconds to kill the clone before it proliferates.
Yes, cloning is proliferation.
Yes, duplicating oneself is proliferation. If one can quadruplicate oneself, it
`s even better.
Quote: Original post by Lesan
Yes, cloning is proliferation.
Yes, duplicating oneself is proliferation. If one can quadruplicate oneself, it
`s even better.

I guess you can score hundreds of points at once if you can multiply oneself with 10000 clones right?
OOooh I'll just make a pinball game adding a multiplier-target. Tadaa!

BONUS 4X !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement