🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[UFEC] Gords Druken Shooter

Started by
4 comments, last by Aiursrage 14 years, 8 months ago
Title: Gords Druken Shooter - Episode 1 "The Beer Caper" Platforms: PC/Browswer Technology: Unity3d Requirements: Unity3d plugin, will also provide an exe Genre: Shooter Type: Tile based 2d/top down Players: 1 Elements: Fire: The game is set in hell. There will be lots of fire. Water: There are water tanks all around the Hellmans brewery (used for watering down the beer), you have to put them in reverse in which case portions of hell will be "frozen over". When Gord has frozen over hell he will be able to skate on that area a lot faster (making back tracking alot less tedious). Evolution: Throughout the game you will get components after killing mini-bosses, which will allow you upgrade your gun (such as double damage, more pucks per shot,etc). There will also be an RPG system where you can upgrade your attributes Strength Base upgrades 1 - upgrades you maximum health 2 - upgrades your health regeneration rate Agility Based upgrades Weapons training - decreases your weapons reload time, "cooldown time" Running - upgrades your movement speed Intelligence Base upgrades Offensive - A better odds of getting a head-shot (does double damage). Defensive - Blocking bullets with your hockey stick". proliferation: For now I am going to argue that when Gord spreads the ice that it will suffice. I am still thinking about it...
Quote: a rapid and often excessive spread or increase: nuclear proliferation.
Story: The game takes place inside the "Hellmans brewery", you play the game as "Gord the Canuck", he has to stop the evil Nazi zombie robots from taking the beer back to hell for the purpose of watering it down. Find out the mystery of the beer caper. I started working on the menu... (requires unity3d plugin)... though I am not sure why you would want to bother right now... You can see GDS. I ran through the Evac-city tutorial using some of there assets for now... GDS [Edited by - Aiursrage on November 5, 2009 8:12:35 PM]
I dream hard of helping people.
Advertisement
Wow.
You're proceeding fast!
And your game looks good!
Log:
->Removed my ramblings about unity3d

Game:
->Added spawners.
->Game starts off paused. You need to press "P" to toggle it to pause state.
->Modified gun so that it has a cooldown between shots as well as a reload time.

->You now have to stand on the ice-square for 5 seconds before it "freezes" over that section of hell (probably should use some sound to signfy that it finished icing over -- as its sometimes seems like its done when its not). If you get off before the time is up it will revert back

[Edited by - Aiursrage on November 5, 2009 8:07:52 PM]
Pretty much done the first level.

Controls are arrow keys or WASD to move, left mouse to shoot, r to reload.
You have to kill the circles to stop them from spawning (though there is a maxmimum spawn limit for each spawner).
If you press Space you will do an area damage that takes 10 "mana".
You need to stand on the ice-squares for five seconds to "freeze hell over", at which the "fire-wall" gets frozen and can be destroyed.
Added life system (so you dont need to restart after first death).
Added some shooting monsters.

You can upgrade in pause mode, press p to toggle pause.

If you make it to the metal tile the level should end. I wonder what you guys think so far.

The art and sound assets are only temporary...
Gords Druken Shooter
http://inanegames.ca/gds/gds.html

###
Well you might be thinking that sure doesnt seem like 10 minutes (darn the game must "fun").... well you would be right. Somehow using a commutative deltatime did not equal the right time... xD

###
In between each hell-level will be an "elevator level" in which you battle bosses. Not started yet.

[Edited by - Aiursrage on November 9, 2009 4:52:49 PM]
Well done - the game works for me.

I won the first level though it took me several attempts to get past the first room. The zombies kept killing me but then I figured out that if I stay in the lower part of the screen, the zombies won't be created and when I am ready, I can destroy the spawn and get back to safety. That figured out, it was pretty easy.

I like the mass destruction effect on space and the mana recuperation. Perhaps you could implement the same effect for lives - regeneration.

While using the ice squares to open more parts of the level is a good idea, it could be exploited even further. Perhaps ice could make movement more difficult to control? And then, player would somehow need to return to an already frozen-over part of hell so he would need to control his unit even on ice. The ice would present a difficult terrain for the zombies, too.

However, this "freeze-over" of hell does NOT qualify as proliferation. You could make the zombies clone themselves if they are not killed rapidly, for example. You could also make the ice spread from the ice square instead of freezing the entire part of hell all at once. But still, that would be a poor proliferation. (It's not spreading of life, it's only rapid multiplication and it has only graphics effect, not a gameplay one)

The level ended all right when I stepped on the elevator.
And I like your game. And it's only 8 days into the contest...
Some good suggestions.
Quote: Original post by Lesan
Well done - the game works for me.

I won the first level though it took me several attempts to get past the first room. The zombies kept killing me but then I figured out that if I stay in the lower part of the screen, the zombies won't be created and when I am ready, I can destroy the spawn and get back to safety. That figured out, it was pretty easy.

Quote:
I like the mass destruction effect on space and the mana recuperation. Perhaps you could implement the same effect for lives - regeneration.

Yeah I will add it but I thought it might make too easy though first level should be easy (I think).

Quote:
While using the ice squares to open more parts of the level is a good idea, it could be exploited even further. Perhaps ice could make movement more difficult to control? And then, player would somehow need to return to an already frozen-over part of hell so he would need to control his unit even on ice. The ice would present a difficult terrain for the zombies, too.

Another good suggestion. Through some testing I found that by simply changing the linearDampning and force strength, mass that it gets a more skate/ice approach and it seems pretty fun.

Quote:
However, this "freeze-over" of hell does NOT qualify as proliferation. You could make the zombies clone themselves if they are not killed rapidly, for example. You could also make the ice spread from the ice square instead of freezing the entire part of hell all at once. But still, that would be a poor proliferation. (It's not spreading of life, it's only rapid multiplication and it has only graphics effect, not a gameplay one)

Yeah its going to require abit more thought on that element.

Quote:
The level ended all right when I stepped on the elevator.
And I like your game. And it's only 8 days into the contest...

Yeah thats the end of the first level. It will than go to the elevator level which is not yet done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement