🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Technical Specifications

Started by
6 comments, last by TheFlyingDutchman 14 years, 8 months ago
In particular, I'm wondering about "DirectX 9.0c, on some judging computers DirectX 10" Am I to understand that we can make a shader model 3 level card a requirement for our game? Seems to clash a little with 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB RAM... but i like ps3.0...
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Funkymunky
In particular, I'm wondering about "DirectX 9.0c, on some judging computers DirectX 10"

Am I to understand that we can make a shader model 3 level card a requirement for our game? Seems to clash a little with 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB RAM... but i like ps3.0...
As I understand it, the minimum spec is a spec above which all judging machines must be. If your entry doesn't run on a judges machine, well, too bad, you don't get the score.

I very much doubt however that anyone will actually judge on a machine that anaemic - I am sitting on a quad-core AMD and an ATI 4870, for instance.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

alright, really i'm just wondering if i can make it a requirement for my game to support shader model 3 and not suffer to much in the judgement department. although, i'm not sure i even care if i get a high score
Personally I am using OpenGL 3.2, so that means everybody without DirectX 10 graphics can't play my game. This choice is based on future reuse of bits and pieces of the game. If I wouldn't join in the contest, I would be working on a game targeted at DirectX 10 hardware because we have already seen 3 generations of DirectX 10 hardware (the first DirectX 11 hardware is even in stores already). This means DirectX 10 hardware is widespread by now and DirectX 9 hardware is becoming quite ancient. By the time I would finish my game this argument would be even stronger.

Because there is not really a hardware limit in this contest (its your own risk: if the judges can't run your game, you won't get a score). So this gives me the opportunity to make a game that fits in my own plans (hardware/engine wise).
It seems some Gamedev.net staff members and moderators will want to judge so once they're signed in, I'll display the technical information about their machines.
Quote: Original post by swiftcoder
I very much doubt however that anyone will actually judge on a machine that anaemic - I am sitting on a quad-core AMD and an ATI 4870, for instance.

It depends if we're doing community based judging, as my WinXP computer is only slightly above the minimum spec. I develop mostly on an iMac, although I sometimes use the older WinXP machine for Windows specific stuff.

(Incidentally, if there's a push for Mac to be added to the available platforms, I'd be happy to volunteer as a judge. I'm assuming it's left off the list due to a lack of judges with Mac computers.)

Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
(Incidentally, if there's a push for Mac to be added to the available platforms, I'd be happy to volunteer as a judge. I'm assuming it's left off the list due to a lack of judges with Mac computers.)
You have a mac, I have a mac, and a good number of the GDNet staff (who might join the judging) seem to have macs, so I am still pushing [smile]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid

As far as I know this was the main reason for not listing the Mac. I assume it would be perfectly fine to enter with a Mac game if we could guarantee some judges that are able to run the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement