🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Crash Landing

Started by
6 comments, last by Punk Designer 14 years, 6 months ago
Hello all, I was wondering if you could help me out, I am writing a small bunch of stories, sort of like small episodes in a series. It's Sci-Fi mainly fast paced combat and some more interesting non-military jobs involved within an agency. The story goes as follows, something crash lands, a crack team (there is always a crack team) secure it, some special alien force comes for it, we defend it with our crack team, we secure more alien tech, etc. And I won't tell you how it ends, but the question I have for you today is. Where should our little Alien Pod (with no alien life inside, but a special package not meant to come to earth) land? I wanted it somewhere which is a hot bed of terrorism or gang culture. No where sandy though, some where dense and packed, lawless, some where like in Brazil? I just wondered where a place like this may be? Any suggestions of specific places, that I can research and find maps of, I want to make it as true to life as possible. Thanks for the aid, will be using you guys a lot of little bits like this. Cheers.
Advertisement
Brazil isn't honestly as crazy as some people think. About as "lawless" as Brazil gets is really no worse than an inner-city drug-infested neighborhood in the US. You can get killed fast,and life is cheap, but there is police presence (even if it is in armored vehicles). The main difference is that the affected areas are larger in Brazil. Some areas that may work better:

Pakistan - The tribal, mountainous border regions are basically controlled by tribal warlords, with the federal government mostly powerless to intervene (and no real reason to until it was believed that Osama Bin Laden was in this area).

Somalia - The ongoing civil war (now lasting almost 20 years) has caused huge instabilities in the country. In some of the rebel-controlled areas, there is basically no police protection whatsoever.

Columbia - The massive forests of Columbia are basically lawless, although the government is stead-fast in trying to change this. The cocaine industry has created many rebel factions, gangs, etc.

Darfur region, Sudan - I think most people are pretty familiar with this one. The policing force is Arab extremist militias who execute the law as they see fit, with any penalties they see fit (usually murder). The government basically turned tyrannical, and hired in these forces.

If you really want a lawless, dangerous area, these are going to be some of your best bets. There are others, but they are not as well known.
What about china. Not the known cities I am talking about the far outer regions of China.

Laos
Phillipines,
Russia. Once again outer regions
Croatia
Africa
India
Estanbul?

Okay lets say I wanted to do some where quite slum filled, so the military characters would have to barge down doors, jump through windows, run over rooftops in order to get to the objective and then there has to be armed militia.

I really want to say somewhere like... India or Philippine or Columbia because they aren't to sandy and there is the possibility of meeting my needs.

But I need, names or pictures, I've done a bit of research but can only really find bigger places, more capital cities, etc.

[EDIT] - Thought I would just show you this.

"The aircraft hanger resounded with the barking of orders, the common bap bap bap of fake automatic fire, the makeshift slum was a near enough exact replica of the one that Alpha team would be entering in a few days time. A hovering unmanned aerial vehicle flew far above Holyfield’s shinny dome."

Just thought you should understand how they are training for it.

Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated.

[Edited by - Punk Designer on December 10, 2009 6:45:48 PM]
I would say India or Phillipines would be more excotic. Inida is both with forest and with a desert. Phillipines is an island, swamp areas and forest, jungles and more then a dozen mountains from what I remember.

Get some ideas from watching:

Clear and Present Danger
The Bourne Series
The Thai Wariior
The Protector with Tony Ja

These could give you some ideas of locations to plant your storyline.

Try to think where a city is not known to the world but has tons of buildings to run across the roofs, through 4 to 5 feet alley ways, dark cellars or tunnels, airfields, labratories, mines (if any). Militray bases (still in operation and not operated).
Central Africa.
Quote: Original post by Punk Designer
Okay lets say I wanted to do some where quite slum filled, so the military characters would have to barge down doors, jump through windows, run over rooftops in order to get to the objective and then there has to be armed militia.

I really want to say somewhere like... India or Philippine or Columbia because they aren't to sandy and there is the possibility of meeting my needs.

But I need, names or pictures, I've done a bit of research but can only really find bigger places, more capital cities, etc.

[EDIT] - Thought I would just show you this.

"The aircraft hanger resounded with the barking of orders, the common bap bap bap of fake automatic fire, the makeshift slum was a near enough exact replica of the one that Alpha team would be entering in a few days time. A hovering unmanned aerial vehicle flew far above Holyfield’s shinny dome."

Just thought you should understand how they are training for it.

Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated.

From your description, City of Mumbai - India seems like the best place. They even have a huge slum right next to their international airport. Search for Dharavi Mumbai and you would get a nice set of pictures
Thanks, I will probably choose that one given the pictures and the resources available.

I will post when I've completed a few versions of it. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement