🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Comics to video games?

Started by
6 comments, last by GninjaGnome 14 years, 6 months ago
Ok, i was wondering that is it a good idea to take like a comic strip charector (my friend is a comic artist/writer) and turn it into a game type like were it plays a movie then give syou choices?
Advertisement
You mean like a "visual novel"? Or more like a turn-based character development sim? Or perhaps a cartoony sidescroller?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

i have no i idea what you said at all to be honest.

it be like this
...............................................this happens too
..................yes then this happnes <
beginn movie <...............................no this happens
..................no this happens

Each < charector will be a movie then you have to choose a repsonce like fight or run or Yes go with them or No don't go

stuff like that ?
Re: dih

That is what she meant. These are called interactive stories.
In your case it is called branching story. This is the flowchart
you drew in the previous post.
                            .- Yes -> Scene 3         .- Yes -> Scene 2 <Scene 1 <                   '- No --> Scene 4         '- No --> Scene 5

Check this out: [ thinkingworlds ]
Quote: Original post by dih
Ok, i was wondering that is it a good idea to take like a comic strip charector (my friend is a comic artist/writer) and turn it into a game type like were it plays a movie then give syou choices?

Sure, that's a workable idea.
What's your realistic plan for making the game, and what is the realistic purpose you hope to achieve by making it?
http://www.obscure.co.uk/blog/2009/07/04/i-have-a-game-design/
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Look up Darksiders... then when it comes out, try it. It may not be choice driven, but its a comic to game. From what I can tell, it'll look great.

As for choice driven games, Heavy Rain seems like it would be a decent comic if they decide to make one. It'll be more Drama than Action for sure, but it would probably work.
R.L. Stine released a series of Goosebumps books that were interactive, they were definately interesting, but eventually they got kind of boring because there was usually only one "Correct" path to take, everything else resulted in a crappy ending.

For a game medium, a comic wouldn't exactly be a good idea. As a comic, it would be interesting, I think Tim Buckley at Ctrl Alt Del was doing a series like that based on votes.

But as a video game, it would become to repetitive. You either end up with too many branching storylines from the same scenes or you only have one real path in which others result in a quick finish. If its the former, than you run the risk of boring people to death: in order to get onto each different story branch, you'd have to repeat the comic over and over again, reading up to a certain point and then moving on. If its the latter, you're basically just telling one story with multiple endings.
Are you making a "Choose your own Adventure" style comic?
If so, that could very easily be done in a website or flash game. The hardest part would be writing teh stories.

Sounds cool,
good luck

btw: Choose your own Adventure was a series of books from way back when I used to read where you were given choices at the bottom of a page and then flipped to the page numbers corresponding with your choices.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement