🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Script Structure Ideas

Started by
5 comments, last by E M 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi. I'm studying language theory at uni and there's a couple of ideas that have potential for use in computer games. I've developed a simple idea for interactive player/NPC scripts that will feel natural and open ended. It produces quite complex-feeling speech interactions without having to force the player's character into a contorted, false-sounding set of lines. It's applicable to the mundane events like shopping, and the epic character-defining conversations that come at crucial plot points. Like the ubiquitous FPS shooter control, only for conversations - it works in any situation. I'm not a programmer and I have no idea who'd be interested. Or how to contact them. Advice?
Advertisement
Write the system up, including some examples, publish it somewhere? Maybe somebody will implement it, if its interesting enough... and your specification is actually implementable.
Get involved in a game project, use the system, see how it goes. Then submit an article about it. (I guess.)
Moving to Writing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Echoing JP: Write a paper about your system in enough detail that someone could program it. Post it here,it'll be read by programmers who can evaluate it, and perhaps implement it. Good luck!
lolz, it's not so much about programming - I can write up passable demonstrations on Powerpoint... it's based on some language/linguistics stuff, sort of tricks I guess. But the sort of tricks that are working in our subconscious all the time, 'specially when we're talking to each other.

Ach it ain't all that, I just got myself over-excited lol. *grace to look embarrassed*

(It does work though.)
I wouldn't know where or how to help you sigl. But I say ' Don't give up on your simple idea". It sounds interesting enough to write more details about your ideas, suggestions, and concept for someone to take a look at.
Dear fellow
Dare to think, invent and create new ways and you will get there soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement