🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Visual Novel - Have you written one?

Started by
17 comments, last by sunandshadow 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm a web developer/designer, who's built a solid visual novel engine that allows for games to be played online, as well as on multiple computer platforms (including Mac). I'm looking for a committed writer, who's written an original story for a visual novel; and who would be interested to offer his/her story to be turned into a visual novel - with the help of a group of advanced artists. More than one story can be considered, so please don't feel shy to respond. You have to own copyright over all the material in your work, and the story can not be a fan-fiction - sorry. If you are interested, please let me know, as soon as possible. I'm trying to get a game development team together, to develop a couple of professional (or near-professional) quality games. The first couple of projects will be on a non-profit, or profit-share basis, but outlook is clear for commercial development in the long run. Thank you. Kind Regards, Boki
Advertisement
Are you and these artists interested in adult/erotic stories, or would you prefer non-adult material? What style do they work in? Whether for an adult story or a romance with no explicit sex, do you and they have a preference for or against any types of pairings? People attracted only to women tend to not be interested in m/m pairing while people attracted only to men tend to not be interested in f/f pairings. I know that a lot of artists prefer to draw only male characters or only female characters. And some only do humans, some only do anthros.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hi sunandshadow,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have a bias. What I'm after is quality work, that's tasteful and elegant. I've read many works in the past that fall into all sorts of categories, and the best of these remain in my memory for their game experience and story, not for their content classification. Many of these shift perspective during the story, to keep a wider audience entertained.

I will assemble a team based on the requirements for the story. Naturally, an eroge game will require the artists involved to be legally mature.
I'll bump this. Is anyone here interested in participating in the making of a visual novel?
Would you explain the strategy to use original work instead of classic works? Is it because there is no "classic" interactive story? What kind of quality is unacceptable? Are you aimming to implement a story that runs for 10 minutes or 10 hours? What is an existing visual novel that you want to surpass?

[Edited by - Wai on January 9, 2010 11:55:37 AM]
Quote: Original post by boki46
I'll bump this. Is anyone here interested in participating in the making of a visual novel?

I am personally interested, I'm just busy for the next month (at least) on the animal-breeding game I'm currently making. I don't really even have tome to put together a proposal describing various story ideas for you. I've had a couple of requests to do an anthro dating sim (main character selectable male or female, half the courtable characters of each gender). My personal writing projects are more m/m science fantasy erotic romances, some with human characters and some with alien characters. Really, since I'm a female writer who mostly has female and gay male fans, I'd have to work with a male writer if you wanted to make something that would please an audience of both genders. Let the male writer create the female NPCs, and maybe any action sequences.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Re: Sunandshadow

I think Boki is interested in a story where the story is already complete (as in you already have the entire plot / script). Since the story is already completed, there won't be much design left. So you would just give the story to Boki. Boki transfer the content of the story to the formatted needed by the game engine, and get artists to create the graphics.

So you probably don't need to commit to any further work. Just give Boki one of the stories you already have. Boki did not request an interactive story but a story.
Quote: Original post by Wai
Re: Sunandshadow

I think Boki is interested in a story where the story is already complete (as in you already have the entire plot / script). Since the story is already completed, there won't be much design left. So you would just give the story to Boki. Boki transfer the content of the story to the formatted needed by the game engine, and get artists to create the graphics.

So you probably don't need to commit to any further work. Just give Boki one of the stories you already have. Boki did not request an interactive story but a story.

Hmm, you're probably right. But, although I have several complete plot outlines, I don't have one with a 100% complete script. Usually I write the outline and the first chapter of script, I don't see any point doing more unless someone else is strongly interested. So I'd need to know which plot outline he liked so I could finish the script.

Of the scripts I have, one is formatted for an anime, the rest are formatted for a graphic novel, so that formatting would need to be changed. I also have some in story format which would need to be converted to script format. And, I have concept art of most of my characters so I'd want to send that in a package with the script.

Quote: Original post by Wai
Would you explain the strategy to use original work instead of classic works? Is it because there is no "classic" interactive story? What kind of quality is unacceptable? Are you aimming to implement a story that runs for 10 minutes or 10 hours? What is an existing visual novel that you want to surpass?

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'classic' work. I'm looking for a new, original story to turn into a video game.

Gameplay can last as long as it needs to, but I guess anywhere from half an hour to 4 hours, would be fine.

I'm always aiming for the best possible result. If we could surpass 'Season of the Sakura', or match the quality of 'Katawa Shoujo', that'd be great.
By classical work I meant fable stories, fairy tales, mythologies, Shakespeare plays, or longer works like the Romance of three Kingdoms, or the Bible for that matter. Works with no copyright issue. You could get a story of any length.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement