🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Visual Novel - Have you written one?

Started by
17 comments, last by sunandshadow 14 years, 5 months ago
Quote: Original post by sunandshadow
...So I'd need to know which plot outline he liked so I could finish the script.

Of the scripts I have, one is formatted for an anime, the rest are formatted for a graphic novel, so that formatting would need to be changed. I also have some in story format which would need to be converted to script format. And, I have concept art of most of my characters so I'd want to send that in a package with the script.

Sunandshadow, I suggest you look at the online demonstration of the engine I have uploaded at this web address:
http://bokiseles.aesautomation.com.au/test/vnovel/vnovel.htm
Please keep in mind that this is an early (test) demonstration. You'll have to view it in a browser other than Internet Explorer. If performance is slow, make the browser window smaller. You'll have to be really patient with the loading time, as this demo sample game is not yet optimised for online viewing.

Then, tell me which story of yours you think is fitting best, to turn into a visual novel. You could pitch me on it - and maybe even send the unfinished script for me to read - on my email address: bojan(you-know-the-monkey-thing)aesautomation.com.au

Thanks for helping out, Wai.

Cheers,
Boki
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Wai
By classical work I meant fable stories, fairy tales, mythologies, Shakespeare plays, or longer works like the Romance of three Kingdoms, or the Bible for that matter. Works with no copyright issue. You could get a story of any length.

Oh, I see what you mean. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not sure how interesting that would be for a modern audience, though. I'd need to find very open-minded people to work on such a project, too. Most artists would have difficulty taking a well known classic story as a serious video game.
Quote: Original post by boki46
...So I'd need to know which plot outline he liked so I could finish the script.

Of the scripts I have, one is formatted for an anime, the rest are formatted for a graphic novel, so that formatting would need to be changed. I also have some in story format which would need to be converted to script format. And, I have concept art of most of my characters so I'd want to send that in a package with the script.

Sunandshadow, I suggest you look at the online demonstration of the engine I have uploaded at this web address:
http://bokiseles.aesautomation.com.au/test/vnovel/vnovel.htm
Please keep in mind that this is an early (test) demonstration. You'll have to view it in a browser other than Internet Explorer. If performance is slow, make the browser window smaller. You'll have to be really patient with the loading time, as this demo sample game is not yet optimised for online viewing.

Then, tell me which story of yours you think is fitting best, to turn into a visual novel. You could pitch me on it - and maybe even send the unfinished script for me to read - on my email address: bojan(you-know-the-monkey-thing)aesautomation.com.au

Thanks for helping out, Wai.

Cheers,
Boki

I tried your link but it crashed my Firefox. o.O;

In general, I think any story intended for an anime or graphic novel would be suitable for a non-interactive visual novel. I've got at least a dozen of those. If you wanted an interactive story/game like a dating sim, I'd have to design something new.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Crashed it?! What version of Firefox are you using? (Is yours a Windows, Linux, or Mac computer?)

Well, can I read your stories?
Crashed it?! What version of Firefox are you using? (Is yours a Windows, Linux, or Mac computer?)

Well, can I read your stories?

Firefox 3.5.7 on Windows Vista 64 bit.

This is my public writing samples page. They are kind of old, I decided not to post my newer stuff on my website to protect the copyrights.

This is my most recent story I've been giving away free - it's erotica involving masculine hermaphrodites. So, NSFW warning, 18+ only warning.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Firefox 3.5.7 on Windows Vista 64 bit.

Interesting. It must be either an issue with the JScript rendering engine on Win Vista 64 bit, or a plug-in in your Firefox browser, that's crashing your browser. Alternatively it could be the audio player used. What is the default program for playing back audio (on the web), on your computer?

I promise to read a couple of your stories. I'll let you know when I've done so.
The part that crashed was my VLC multimedia plugin. It worked without sound when I disabled the plugin, and the sound worked after I installed the Quicktime plugin (I do not like Quicktime/Itunes so I usually don't have anything Quicktime-related installed.) My housemate says you ought to be using .ogg files and HTML 5's Audio tag.

BTW the text at the bottom of your VN spills off the picture to both sides in a way that is visually very confusing. Personally I would not put the text over the picture, makes it hard to read; Instead I'd put the text below the picture on a slice of black background, or use black text on white background.

Hope you like the writing. [smile] But if not, no big deal. I've been doing a lot more art than writing for the last few years, so I know I haven't been keeping it organized or polished, nor have I been working toward publication.

Umm... I was only able to read two short excerpts of you writing... The rest of the links don't work.

Do you have any complete works (apart from 'Uke on Top', which I wouldn't really know how to market)?
Umm... I was only able to read two short excerpts of you writing... The rest of the links don't work.

Do you have any complete works (apart from 'Uke on Top', which I wouldn't really know how to market)?

I repaired the links for anahata and Xenallure's design doc, those were the only two that were broken for me. In order for the sofurry link to work you need to be logged in and have authorized adult content to be displayed. Was anything else broken for you?

But, all of my work is more or less like Uke On Top. I don't understand what's confusing about marketing it - the genre is gay male erotic romance, also known as yaoi or slash. The audience is women and gay men ages 18+. It's legal to sell this type of content as long as you have some sort of age verification system. That's why I asked earlier in this thread if you could use adult material and would consider male/male pairing acceptable.

I have two other links I can give you, but they have never been edited so the writing is bad, and the wolf one is old. They are both adult, the 'parasitic pregnancy' one is hermaphrodites much like the sofurry story. (Don't be put off by the word parasitic, it is not horror.) It's sort of a choose your own adventure style story, except the choices don't change the plot, they only change which characters the reader reads about in what order, and whether the hermaphrodite characters are referred to with male or female pronouns (normally I use male, I made the female version second to please a different audience segment but it's basically a search-and-replace 'translation' of the male-pronoun original). The wolf one involves a male main character and an intelligent/magical female wolf. It's really really old, maybe 10 years, so it does not represent my current level of writing ability.

Warning! Links are NSFW! Do not click unless you are 18+!
Parisitic Pregnancy Dragons story
Howl Together werewolf story

If you want something else, I'd have to email it to you, because that's all the work I have on the internet. But all my work is erotica, it's all science fiction/fantasy/historical, it all has the same audience of mainly women and gay men ages 18+, so if you can't market one, the rest is pretty much all the same.

What I've been writing recently involves a 3-gender race (treating 2 of the genders as male, one as female), so the typical relationship for this race would be m/m/f. Pregnancy, incest, and shapeshifting are the main themes that interest me. I'm fond of "second chance" stories too - an adult getting a new world, a new body, or a new partner after a long period of being alone or after the end of a long relationship due to death or divorce. Settings are all over the place - I've got one with superheroes that's like batman meets pokemon, one with mercenaries in spaceships, one with a military academy and something vaguely similar to dragon-rider pairs, and several that are some variety of fantasy in various types of pre-renaissance society.

[Edited by - sunandshadow on February 6, 2010 6:10:33 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement