🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writer's block

Started by
3 comments, last by Ghostknight 14 years, 5 months ago
Greetings denizens of Gamedev.net! This is my first posting here, so i'm just going to jump right into it. Basically, I'm having terrible problems with writer's block when it comes to describing the business district of the primary city in a game I've finally gotten around to putting on paper. Basically I'm trying to describe the culture, appearance and atmosphere of this area and constantly finding myself getting stuck with a complete mental blank. Whilst this could be worked around with some of the minor areas, being the main trade district in the main city, I feel I can't simply jump over it. Here's what I have so far, any pointers/tips would be quite welcome, as well as criticisms, and just a finishing note, this isn't meant to be the final draft, at this stage I'm only looking to get a good overview of the area so I can get some maps and conceptual drawings together and finally do a full write up. "The Business District is a large area that extends from the docks to slightly north of the monastery in a sort of keyhole shape. Whilst most of the trade district features almost immaculately kept buildings and roadways, things noticeably deteriorate as one approaches the Western Residences. The business district consists of wide streets and open plazas lined by rows of storefronts and the occasional street peddler. The storefronts are generally constructed of dark woods with brass highlights, so as not to distract from any window displays. The streets and plazas also prominently feature cypress-like trees, some left to grow naturally, others exquisitely shaped into sculptures or hedges. Grand marble fountains dominate many of the district’s plazas, each one drawing its water from the many aqueducts that snake into the heart of the city from the mountains. During the day, vast crowds form throughout the area, these are interspersed by the odd police officers who manage to keep some order amongst the masses. It is rare to find anyone from the western areas far from their homes, as such the general population of the district is made up of various tourists, merchants and the middle classes." I just feel this is lacking in areas but can't quite put my finger on it, not to mention all the other areas I've covered so far, minor or major, are 3-4 times longer than this. Thanks in advance! Fiachna
Advertisement
My original post (link below) only addressed the question of writer's block. OP, you don't have writer's block.

As for your description of the business district, you should think about what kinds of businesses are present therein. It's a business district, right? Does that mean brokerages and banks and office buildings? Or does that mean shopping malls and pawn shops and coffee shops where the workers take breaks? Are there any parks, are the buildings all taller than 5 stories, is there street parking or is all parking underground? Is there a subway serving the area or do horse drawn trolleys help people move around? Is it all automobile traffic or do the citizens get around by bicycle or rickshaw or donkey? Are there trucks and buses choking pedestrians with exhaust fumes?

Maybe you should try to draw a map of the area and put details in it -- not to provide the map to your readers but rather to help you envision the area.

The original post, now deprecrated:
This link should provide many awesome tips to help you with writer's block.

[Edited by - Tom Sloper on January 14, 2010 10:25:12 AM]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply, after reading the suggestions you give I realised just how much I left out! I'll see how I go with writing it all down.
If someone is standing in the middle of your business district at the moment you're describing, what would he hear? What would he see? What would he smell? What would the air feel like on his skin or in his hair?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Why not go down town in the real world business district and see what you can see, hear, smell , taste, and touch. Jot these senses down and see what you can come up with? Just a thought.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement