🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Polling in DP8?

Started by
0 comments, last by stefu 22 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I use DP8 for networking. Some events like loading track and cars mustn''t be done in DP message handler because they take few seconds, so I have to save the message and process it at the beginning of frame in main thread. They also write in DP8 SDK samples that any time consuming shouldn''t be done in DP message handler. So I thought that it would be ok to use polling method at the beginning of the frame. This is also my first networking app and I''ve faced some problems using multiple threads. How is the polling system best done in DP8?
Advertisement
For optimal performance you need a circular message queue for incoming messages, and then you empty and handle all the messages in the queue, say, every 50ms from the main game thread.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement