🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writing multi-scenario story

Started by
3 comments, last by zyrolasting 14 years, 3 months ago
Hello there. I am writing story for game. It is my first story for a game. It is multi-scenario storyline. Story itself going rather well. But my problem is: How to write this story, that later I could easily keep track of what is going and what should go next? It should be convenient to hold it on my computer, easy to view. I tried to write each storyline in separate doc, but in the end I'll finish with thousands of such docs. Maybe there is some tools for that, or some programs? Maybe I need to draw some diagrams? So if anyone have some practice with writing multi-scenario games, please help!
Advertisement
If each chunk does not involve too much text, you might want to give TiddlyWiki ( http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ ) a try. You can write blocks of text and attach multiple tags and then later look at only text associated with a given tag.

So you could add tags like "scenario_cloudcity" and "scenario_dagobah" as you write and then look at only one set or the other.

Michael
A flowchart to organize the scenes, give each one a 1-sentence summary and an id number, then put all the numbered scenes into a text document.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Scenario tree chart.

Like a family tree but with you chapter heading on the top of the tree and then branch down to where your characters will encounter a meetup down the tree.

Do the same for chapter two and so forth.

You know I think I will use that idea as well for my multi-story line survival horror board game.
You are on the right track when you compartmentalize, regardless of the tools you use. Start by being loose. Use logic maps or just pen and paper to jot down your immediate understanding of your medium's structure. An artist starts with basic shapes and primitive forms, and a writer starts with a formal outline. No matter what creative route you take, keep the load on yourself light and always work with what is considered "basic" and simple in comparison to what you currently have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement