🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New idea, but I need some facts.

Started by
9 comments, last by Talon 24 years, 6 months ago
Where to start?
Pong! I spent hours and hours working on a pong clone.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/
Advertisement
Thats a tall order for not "not know much" about programming, i don't know much about it either. all I know are the basics right now, and I can't do anything that would come closley related to a game, you better be ready for a lot of hours sitting in front of your computer for that kind of a game. To learn the basic you should go to a book like C for dummies, or whatever language you prefer (C still being the best to program games with) or "The C Programming Language." these are the best to begin with. Or go to The Programmers Vault.

-King
MXF ENTERTAINMENT

I don't plan to program it myself, I just wanted to know some limitations. So as a Lead developer and game designer I will know what is possible, impossible or pushing the edge for the programmers. I do plan to learn some programming, but I know I do not have the patiants to sit for hours crunching numbers.
so... as lead programmer, your not gonna program it eh? hmmm i don't think you realize with no knowlege of whatever the hell your writing it in, you don't stand a chance. Specially if you plan to make a game like Everquest, it doesn't work. You should plan to "number crunch" hour after hour if you want to work your way up to that level of game programming. You can only get better by experience, and it takes a lot of experience to program a game like that, but good luck anyways.

-King
MXF ENTERTAINMENT

I will second the last response Talon. If you want to make games, and you want to be the lead, you really need to learn how to program.

Unless you happen to be independently wealthy and can afford to pay other people a lot to work for you, people arent going to want to work for someone who cant help make the game themselves.

"Vision leaders" are only followed when they are extremely capable of getting things done themselves, or have the money to entice other people to do the work.

-Geoff

Ah maybe I didn't say this before but I want to be a LEAD DESIGNER, I never said lead programer. I did say I will learn some programming, but a programmer I will never be. Here is a URL of job openings, and as you can see out of about 16 jobs, I don't even think half ask for programing knowledge and most of those ask for some knowledge would be helpful(and 2 of those are the same company). Please check it out, I still mybe wrong but this is what I base my desision on.
http://www.vsearch.com/designers

In fact most ask for working knowledge of 3D Studio Max. However I still agree that some knowledge of programing is important to a designer, so he my work with programing limitations. Oh and if you go to the engineers section of the Site at
http://www.vsearch.com/swengine

there you find the programers, notice C++ liters that page, in the exp. line. But like I said before if I am still wrong let me know, I am still learning.

[This message has been edited by Talon (edited November 08, 1999).]

With *one* exception (and that was because he has such a tremendous 20 year professional background and worked his ass off to become a designer, also knew the owner really well) every designer I've ever known in the game industry has been either a programmer or artist.

When this person was doing the job of "designer", he/she might not have actually been writing code or drawing art/levels for the game (although most of the time they are), but should the time arise that some art or code needs to get done, they *are* capable of doing it.

It's the classic video game-playing kid's dream to "learn lots about games" by reading every issue of Nintendo Power and playing all the new games. And granted, designers do those sorts of things, but that is such a small amount of what is required to be a good designer. My advice: pick programming or art/level design and start there. Work your way up to a senior position then put together a game idea and submit it to the bosses. Good luck. --Nolan

OK thanks, I will learn some in programming for knowledge, I really would rather pursue the Art side of the house. Again thanks for the advice, everyone.

I have to disagree about the complete need to be able to be able to program most any part of it yourself. Don't get me wrong you do need to know how to program, but I think that with only about 4 programs:
1) a tetris clone
2) a screen saver that bounces a 3D cube around the screen and randomly rotates it in all directions
3) a overhead view text or simple graphics rpg including multiple weapons, multiple enemies and a shop of some kind.
4) and a screen saver that bounces your viewpoint around within a 3D cube while rotating the direction you are viewing it from.
With those 4 programs under your belt(might be able to learn to program them within a year if you work at it), and a good design document(look at the claw design document in the design section of this page), another 6 months to a year of work. You might be able to get a programming team together to work on a project like that, if you are a smooth enough talker.

A lot of ifs there, but make the four programs. after that you will see many of the difficulties of programing different types of things and at least be able to steer your program out of many of the major pitfalls you see in those types of projects.
Keep in mind that in addition to the design and programming aspects you also will need a keen business sense to get a project of that magnitude off the ground.

------------------
DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu

DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu
I am a newbie, in every since of the word. I have ideads coming out of my ears and I have always had them. What is my hold back is I don't know enough about programming, really I don't know anything.
Here is my problem, I want to do a massive online game, ex EverQuest, OU, but for now I know that is to much for me. So I want to start smaller, I want to do a RPG where a Game Master can control the game, like Vampire is going to be. This is what I am asking, Vampire will only allow 8 players and 1 host, I want to exspand that number by a great deal, say to 40 people. I would like to use a first person shooter view. And be able to give the game alot of feel. Can it be done? if so how? if not why not?
Thanks Jeff

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement