🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Interest in a workshop on synopses?

Started by
8 comments, last by Beige 14 years, 2 months ago
Someone in another forum reminded me of the idea of doing online writers' workshops. I haven't done one here in years, I probably should do more of them. So, would anyone be interested in a workshop with the topic "How to Write A Synopsis/Outline"?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Let's do it!
I'm game.
Sounds interesting, any ideas what form it would take?
inherently interactive - my game design blog
Quote: Original post by Tim Ingham-Dempster
Sounds interesting, any ideas what form it would take?

I'm thinking Part A, what is a synopsis and how to write one (lecture/essay) and Part B people can submit synopses for critique (workshop). Then I guess Part A would be broken down into Structure, Purpose, and Process/Brainstorming.

Thoughts?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I think it may be more valuable to teach something more fundamental. I'd like to see more people moving out of the writing phase of just parroting settings and stringing events together "and then, and then...". A workshop focused on what drama is and how to structure it might be more useful to this crowd?
I'd say an online workshop is a license to argue semantics.
I'd much prefer something less opinionated and something more structured.
Pliable rules for writing compelling stories and creating realistic interactions as opposed to strict guidelines and then a critique system.

I think this forum itself should function as the 'workshop' instead.
But that's just me.
Quote: Original post by Pete Michaud
I think it may be more valuable to teach something more fundamental. I'd like to see more people moving out of the writing phase of just parroting settings and stringing events together "and then, and then...". A workshop focused on what drama is and how to structure it might be more useful to this crowd?

But in practical terms, if I'm the one presenting the topic, it has to be a topic I feel confident to teach about. "What Drama Is" sounds like a deep and controversial topic, and I'm not at all sure how I'd attempt to explain it, or how we'd examine that in forum member's writing. Actually I don't think it would be possible to look at dramatic structure in people's writing any way other than by looking at synopses from them, because actual stories or scripts are mostly too long for any sort of group study.

Quote: Original post by Cpt Mothballs
I'd say an online workshop is a license to argue semantics.
I'd much prefer something less opinionated and something more structured.
Pliable rules for writing compelling stories and creating realistic interactions as opposed to strict guidelines and then a critique system.

I think this forum itself should function as the 'workshop' instead.
But that's just me.

Semantics? I'm suggesting a lecture or essay by me, followed by a group critique session. That's about as structured as an online event can be, and previous workshops I've done this way haven't devolved into argument.

The forum does already function as a workshop in the sense that anyone can post pieces and ask for criticism, or post questions about writing theory and ask for opinions. But I think more specific workshops are valuable because they stir up people's interest and get everyone talking to each other and thinking about the same topic, at least temporarily.

I'm interested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement