🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPGs, What do YOU expect from a great RPG?

Started by
52 comments, last by stviemr 24 years, 5 months ago
I still don't think plot is that important. All it really does it add to the enviroment. System Shock one and two had a great enviroment to play in, great graphics, sound, music, play control, and story. But it wasn't the plot that made these games great rpgs, it was the charater advancement and the customizion of the player. Without these the game woud have been no differnt then quake2. In fact i would say these games even had a weak plot. It was all the other elements toghether that made them so great.
Advertisement
I'd like to second something that has only been mentioned once, but for me is the real key to an RPG, developing your character.

It is the idea of being immersed in a new world with a character that is a relative weakling, and making that struggle to improve that makes the most compulsive element of the game.

If it was just about the combat you could play a beat-em-up. If it was just about the plot you could read a book. Whilst both of these ARE important (would not dream of saying otherwise) it is the journey that you take to improve your character that makes for the most immersive RPG experience.

Furthermore there needs to be variety to this. Enough scope that, for instance, two players playing the same character class, can end up with entirely different characters.

Best of luck,

Woop

Ah, RPGs, that most nebulous of genres.
Personally, I don't like the online scene, too much humanity of today taints the immersion and also, I despise player killers yet I do see their point (*urk* much as it pains me to say it). Anyway, it has nothing to do with whether a game is online or not, but rather the linearity of the game.

So here I go on my rant which is merely that, a rant. Ignore at your own leisure.
You have the Final Fantasy's, in which plot and character development is paramount. Highly linear.
Then you have the RPG high games in which there is a plot, but you can follow it at your leisure (which also means, the world revolves around you - but much can be sad about Final Fantasy). Highly interactive. Here we have Darklands and Arena.
Then we have the many shades of grey in between where one can find the Fallouts and what not. Of course, I ignore the RPG-lite games like Diablo (merely RPGs for FPS fans in my opinion *ducks flaming ball*).

Ok, on to the actual question far above...
What makes it a hit? Thoroughly unknown. Look at Betrayl at Krondor. When it came out back in the days of diskette, it did not do well. When it was rereleased on CD, Boom!
It's a market thing. Just pray, even if you did make a good game. As long as you are in the black, everything's good!

Plot: Don't cliche it is the main thing. If you must use a cliche, use it, but then twist it.
Graphics: People are spoilt now. 3D or 2D? 3D requires machine (Ultima 9 anyone?). 2D requires a lot of art (Baldur's Gate anyone). 2D/3D hybrid is my opinion the best to go. Then again, if the game's good, 30 hours into the game and graphics don't mean anything. Gameplay keeps the player.
Music: I'm partial to classical, but if you mix classical training into anything else, you've got something. But music is highly subjective.
Action: Ah, lots of it? Be careful. Most of this has been covered by others.

Hmmm, I haven't really answered what makes a RPG a hit. It depends on the person. I don't like (and boy, I've tried) 3D first person perspective games. I like it even less when combat is required to be done manually, as in point and shoot (Eye of the Beholder although first person had simple combat - point and click). I prefer the abstract simplicity of the strategy in Fallout and the Gold Box SSI games, or the simple menu select method of Final Fantasy, or the point and click method of Baldur's Gate. But that's just me. As long as music is not too repetitive, it's ok, unless it's something I like to which case, I don't care if it is. I'll pause the game and listen. But I feel I'm in the minority mainly because of this 3D thing (and I do occasionally play FPS, they just don't hold my attention for more that 10 hours cumulative play, even in multiplayer).

Just my gaming habits and I feel more a casual gamer rather than a hardcore gamer. Now the disclaimer: The opinions of this poster does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the gaming community.

JeranonGame maker wannabe.
Thanks for all the input. A good point that you brought up is about the interface. We are still divided on some of the fine points of that issue. We DO plan on having an "overhead" 3D interface. Not a FPS like Diablo, I agree that hardly classifies as an RPG at all, and if it is allowed to, 99% of the games out there should.

The lead graphics man and I were kicking around pro's and con's of these interfaces. I thought we should perhaps render some actions in a seperate 2D interface. partially to add variety. Perhaps when the player enters "Combat" mode or something, we could have the game jump to a combat graphics engine, which could be 2D, but elaborate, and cool looking, also giving a feel of action...

Action is very important to us, but we don't want to sell out other features that we like about the rpg, such as freedom, detail, and character development. Obviously there is a balance in there somewhere that will please most.

Here are my thoughts on the whole thing:
http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/062998mn.html

(Ignore the last paragraph though )

MSN

Shigeru Miyamoto.

Zelda designer.

Now you know.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Is he what makes an RPG great?
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

I suggest to try implenting the ring menu system that is seen in the game Secret of mana. The reason I like this game is that it shows that developing RPG without random attacks, and a lot of action IS possible.
Although implenting this in 3D can be difficult...

Whatever you do, don't put in mazes. I hate mazes. Ya know, Ultima-like
dungeon mazes that go on forever over 8+ levels. I think mazes are the most
boring and laziest way to create a 'puzzle'.

Reaver

Given the current trend in games and 3D graphics in general, lots of high poly cut scenes. Being a wargamer, I prefer campaigns to open exploration. There should be a lot a room to walk about between sub-plots and the ability to use a variety tactics to achieve the goal(s).

As far as game mechanics, have you seen the combat system in Hybrid Heaven? It's that kind of twist on conventional game play that will make for a memorable title.

If you're wanting to cater to the power user faction, look at different ways to go about it besides the ability to level a mountain with you pinky. Exceptional accuracy or dexterity can also make a power user. (ie. Every hit is a critical hit or you can deflect every attack directed at you (ala Neo in the Matrix))
--
TAZ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement