🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FPRPG Story Writing

Started by
3 comments, last by ruben tan 13 years, 10 months ago
Hello.
I'm just wondering... How am I supposed to make it easy for a player to actually alter the game in a FPRPG where he customizably makes his own character from scratch.

I mean, in the future it cant really be like. "And so, the unknown hero slaught the fierce dragon and brought justice to the corrupt dictator of Ashgarl" This was a sentance I thought up as I wrote by the way.

Any ideas how to counter this?

I have been thinking about having a known hero follow the player during big events, but I dont know if that would be solid enough...
Advertisement
So your problem is about how to refer to the player?

Classic solutions to this is either giving the player a fixed last name or codename (Such as in Mass Effect or Deus Ex), a title ("Vault Dweller" in Fallout, or the goddamned "Hero of Kvatch (This is truly an honor)" from Oblivion), or have the game be text-based and just refer to the player as whatever name the player put in (Zelda).
Or refer to the reader of the design as "you."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Using synthesized speech is another way, but that is a hella long way off from actually sounding passable in a gaming sense.
Wanderer, Adventurer, Savior, Loner, Vault Dweller, You, Hero, Boy, Girl, Man, Woman, He, She... just to name a few off my head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement