🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Your opinion

Started by
3 comments, last by andrewtaylor 22 years, 10 months ago
I have been considering setting up an e-commerce site to help sell computer games produced by amateur''s and was wondering what everyone''s opinion of this idea was and whether to go ahead or not. I have all of the e-commerce software required
Advertisement
Most developers prefer Realarcade.
So they earn more.
It isn''t a good idea
If you can process Eurocheque cards (NOT Eurocards) give me call.

To your question: No there are already a lot of those services out there.

Edited by - Jester101 on August 23, 2001 9:55:12 AM

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

It''s not the processing of the money that''s the issue. It''s actual order handling, figuring out overhead costs, ect. As well as finding author''s who want to sell through you. Keeping track of everything is also necessary.

You''ll also probably need a business license to do any of that legally.

It can be done. I set up Icarus Independent in only a few days. The "hard" part was writing the software to convert the Excel inventory sheet into the web-site. I have my license and it takes effect on Sept 1st. I can sell anything with it.

I''m just using PayPal to handle taking the money for orders which keeps people''s information away from my computers. I wouldn''t want to give out my CC number unless I know it''s secure and I trust the party recieving it.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]
Yeah PayPal is the way to go. I''d probably buy from any site using it because I think they have a fraud policy. Also many people already have accounts so it wouldn''t be a pain to customers. Just make sure it''s a very professional looking site.

Flying Penguin Studios
President and Lead Design
Nick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement