🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Genesis 3D, CPU-Usage Issues

Started by
1 comment, last by Niuko 24 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I had a small question for any experts who might happen to be out there. I think I know the answer but I just want to hear it from somebody else before I resign myself to the sad truth of the matter. I am using the Genesis3D engine to create an on-line game. This game is not in true 3D like an FPS would be, it''s from a top-down view (sorta like GTA), so there isn''t as much data to be sent back and forth, just a single set of coordinates per object. However, lag is always an issue no matter the game and could show it''s ugly face at any time. I want to include background music in the game. Nothing complicated, just a playlist of songs that loops. I''m currently considering the MOD format, since it offers relatively high quality but doesn''t use up a lot of CPU time. The less CPU used, the better, because there will be less chance of slowdown and thus lag. However, most of my music team (at various points in time) have told me that it would be much better for them if they could use the MP3 format because they would be able to do things that MOD simply cannot. I wanted to know if MP3 is completely out of the question or not. Would MP3 work, or is the combination of the resource-feasting Genesis3D engine and the MP3 format too much for our target spec (P166 and above) to ensure lag-free gameplay? If it *is* too much, what do you think the minimum system specs should be if MP3 were included?
Advertisement
Maybe I should have put this on the multiplayer section?

*shrugs* I figured that the people in the 3D section would know more about G3D''s CPU-usage though. which would be more relevant in this case.
I don''t think that you should ever use MP3 in a real-time game. MP3 would be more suited for a checkers game or something...

-Jey Kottalam
14 Year Old Computer Programmer
http://www.armageddongames.com
-Jey Kottalam14 Year Old Computer Programmerhttp://www.armageddongames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement